Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Time to Fish!!!

jjohnson

Now that I've accepted the fact that I had to eat two turkey tags this year I can concentrate on fishing. Don't get me wrong I had a blast chasing turks with the bow this spring with too many oh so close encounters but by this time of year I usually start concentrating on the "Bronzeback Tailwalkers" and walleyes on the Upper Iowa River. The weather was finally cooperating enough to hit some of my favorite spots. Saturday we had a blast pulling in the smallies and were even fortunate enough to bag a few keeper walleyes. Most of the smallies were full of eggs and ranged from the 12 - 15 inch range and the eyes were the same with one healthy 19 incher. On Sunday made it out for a short excursion on some local trout streams and was fortunate enough to land this big ol' boy. A few weeks ago I landed a fat 20.5" brown and it was my biggest to date until last night at about 7:30 when this guy took me for a ride. I measured him at 22" but I was so excited I think he might have went more. Now looking at the pics he just looks longer than that. Took me a little while to nurse him back to 100% but after a few minutes I gave him a pat and he was off. Maybe in a few years he'll be the 27, 28 incher I'm looking for. Let me tell ya there's nothing more rewarding than tangling with a 5+ lb. brown or rainbow in these little NE Iowa streams.

Here are some pics from the weekend fun...
trout052106004.jpg

trout052106005.jpg

trout052106007.jpg

trout052106009.jpg
peace.gif

Oh yeah I almost forgot. Saw a buck last night on the way to the trout stream that was just about out past his ears. He's gonna be a pig come fall. Everything else I've been seeing is spiked maybe 6 to 10 inches or so. Time to get my cameras out I think. Although I'm over the turkeys I'm always thinking deer.
grin.gif

Sweet! The kids and I will be on the Upper Iowa this coming weekend.

Usually I paddle and my 10 year old drags in the smallies!
grin.gif

Will probably have to swing into your shop and spend some more money like last year!
waytogo.gif

Very nice, I love rat'n on the Upper myself. I was sick to see they recently posted a fish advisory on one section.

I caught the biggest fish I have ever caught in my life yesterday. Was fishing a walleye tournement and snagged 30lb Carp
shrug[1].gif
I took me 10 minutes to get a look at it and then another ten to get it in the net. I wasn't going to Give a dang carp my $6.00 crankbait. It was a heck of a fight though had him hooked in the fin on his back. I have to admit it was pretty fun to catch.
blush.gif

I got a call last night and a good friend of mine was pretty pumped up. He had just landed a 24-25 inch brown. Big ol' hook jaw but unfortunately didn't have a camera. He's got a 27 1/2 on the wall from a few yrs ago but I could tell by his voice that he was pretty stoked. At least he was kind enough to put him back and tell me not to worry I can catch him next time. Have a great and safe weekend to everybody!!!

Thanks Chip we have really been getting into the trout lately.

Top Bottom