Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tiny Tom

gansomn

I have a little story about my sons little bird he killed saturday. Were set up first thing about 150 yrds from about 4 long beards and some hens, could not really have gotten closer because of being a little late. Birds were going crazy, they hit the ground and went the other way and on to another farm, not that big of deal.

We waited about another hour and decided to move. Walked and called...nothing. Walked some more.....called and boom, one sounded off. We closed the distance (way do much) and the bird caught us...he was gone. We walked some more, I called and a bird about 200 yrds sounded off. The bird and I went back and forth for about ten minutes and he just stopped. My son and I were figuring on how to make a move on him when I seen a bird fly from the hill side where the bird was gobbling before. I told my son it was a hen and maybe she would pull the tom with her. A few more minutes went by and my son told me to not move because he seen a fan down the hill from us.

We moved to a small cedar tree and waited. I finally cut on the call and the bird sounded off. The tom came on a string to us, no decoy nothing but the sound of the call ( I am still amazed how these birds can pin piont you with no visual). The bird was in half strutt the whole time and moving in slow motion. I asked my son if he wanted to watch him for a little bit before shooti..........BOOM! I guess that ment no. He was as excited about this bird as when he was 10 and killed his first bird, (about a 150 yrds from this bird) he is 21 now.

The only pics I took were with my phone and I do not know how to post them here. The bird had a 9 inch beard 1 inch spurs and only weighed 10 pounds. He had a small tail like a hen and was in good shape just very little. Awesome hunt and still grateful to hunt with my kid. Hope he never stops. Thanks for the soap box.

PIC ADDED BELOW BY Liv4Rut!!! Thanks

Last edited:
Congrats on a great hunt!! I have to see a picture of this 10lb bird. :D Sounds crazy!! You sure you didn't weigh that thing in kilograms. ;);) Just joking!!

Congrats on a great hunt!! I have to see a picture of this 10lb bird. :D Sounds crazy!! You sure you didn't weigh that thing in kilograms. ;);) Just joking!!

I have seen longbeards that were only 16 and 17 pounds before and jakes that were 15 or 16 pounds, but 10 pounds is smaller than some hens! Congrats on the bird though! :way:

Last edited:
If any of you all can post a pic from your phone I will text to who ever can do it. My son is holding it to the side with one hand, trust me it was funny looking. Let me know in a pm to who I can send it to.

WOW, that is a tiny bird!! Hilarious!!
982-tiny_bird.jpg

Funny you talk about small birds. I killed a bird 2nd day of 1st season that came in with some other birds. Picked out the biggest beard and let the 12 gauge eat. Bird had a mop of an 11 inch bears, 1 1/4 spurs and only weighed 18 lbs. Nothing unusual really for birds I've killed in southern Missouri, but is is the smallest bird I've killed in Iowa. Guess they have bred and faught theirselves to death early.

Top Bottom