Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tips for taking my 11yo son for his first season

This fall my son got a new Hype DTX and has been religiously practicing and is now ready in my opinion to go out and see what we can see. He didn’t get anything during youth season and really wants to hunt with me. We are hunting public land in the north central part of the state (Humboldt) area. Any tips on making the best experience for him would be greatly appreciated.

For starters make sure he's warm! Evenings are usually warmer for youth to sit for a while! Food sources in the evenings should see action on most all days. Best of luck to your son!

Hey, those are great times on the kids first harvest. First thing that comes to my mind is broad heads. At 11 years old how fast is he shooting? When my son was 11 he stuck his first dear and didn't have the power to penetrate. Lost a 2 1/2 buck that would have been his first deer ever. I highly recommend a good cut on contact broad head. Not pushing a product but the Montec did a fine job on the next deer at the same draw weight. Good luck and enjoy that time with the youngster!

My wife shoots the montecs. They are a great cut on contact head. My 9 yr old got up to 37 lbs so far this yr. If he makes it to 40 lbs that's what he will be shooting.

Hey, those are great times on the kids first harvest. First thing that comes to my mind is broad heads. At 11 years old how fast is he shooting? When my son was 11 he stuck his first dear and didn't have the power to penetrate. Lost a 2 1/2 buck that would have been his first deer ever. I highly recommend a good cut on contact broad head. Not pushing a product but the Montec did a fine job on the next deer at the same draw weight. Good luck and enjoy that time with the youngster!
He is a big kid, he is 5'4" 115# and a draw length of 26, we had his bow set up at 30# and have upped the draw weight to around 40#

I have not had kids bow hunting yet but have spent many days with them in youth and muzzy seasons. Several recommendations, none of which are mandatory but I have found to help.
1. Something to conceal movement. On the ground - in a blind is best. In a tree - a 2 man ladder stand WITH camo burlap zip tied around the whole shooting rail and stand.
2. Take plenty of snacks and water/pop to break up the boredom.
3. Let them have a phone, book and/or tablet. I struggled with this but man do they stay out a lot longer. They move less too. At 8 years old my son could stay out 3-4 hours as long as his batteries did not die.
4. Warm, warm, warm. Dress them as warm as possible but so they can still move as needed. I actually dress down a little so I can gauge better how the kid may feel because they can't handle near the cold an adult can. Have hot hands, toe warmers and body warmers with you too.

Good luck!!! It is blast to be there when they take one.

Top Bottom