Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To early to rattle?

180class

I was thinking of taking the horns out tonight to try some soft rattling. Has anybody tried this yet, or is it to early?

I know that bucks are starting to spar...two little guys were going at it about 4:00 this morning IN TOWN. I wouldn't be the least bit afraid to give it a try.
waytogo.gif

I've never had any success at rattling until after Oct. 20 or so.
But I don't think it would hurt to try.
Let us know if you get any reactions.
Good luck.

It's not too early. I would just make sure you don't over do it. Just do some light rattling for the next couple of weeks and then pick up the intensity.

Two years ago to this day I rattled in the buck on my Avatar.

I never thought about using the antlers that early... but 3 bucks were pushing each other around out in the crp, so I tickled my horns together and all 3 RAN to the base of my tree! Game Over.

50% of the bucks I'm seeing right now are doing some light sparring with each other. Bigger guys don't seem intersted, than again, they can see the ones that are sparring, maybe some rattling from a tree would work.

It is not too early, I have seen bucks all out fighting in September and know that sometimes "feathers get ruffled" when deer are sparring.

but as mentioned, dont over do it as i think fights are few and far between this time of year.

give it a shot and then give us an update!!

[ QUOTE ]
It's not too early. I would just make sure you don't over do it. Just do some light rattling for the next couple of weeks and then pick up the intensity.

[/ QUOTE ]

waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif
waytogo.gif

Never to early to tickle the tips.

I watched several small ones hitting pretty serious last Friday night. I convinced a buddy to try rattleing on Sunday night. He did 1 sequence pretty early in the evening, and had a buck run to the edge of the brush but never step out.

Dean

Never too early!! I rattled in 7 different bucks 2 years ago on the 15th of Oct...

One youth shot a very nice buck who was dragging another dead 3 1/2 yr old with him during youth season...

Go after them...but make sure if you "blind" rattle that they can't get downwind of you...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to my wife!
30570-chair.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the truth
wall.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not according to my wife!
30570-chair.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the truth
wall.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Heeeeeeeey, What do you know about my wife?
cussing.gif
grin.gif

Not too early at all- Rattled a 155 10 pt into about 50 yards last night- Saw him freshing up a scrape on the other side of the field - He came on a string-but never gave a clean shot

My father in law wathced a nice 8 and 10 go at it Friday night just before dark in a bean field. I heard what sounded like 2 bucks lightly sparring last night and had a brute show up right at dark. I think I may give it a shot lightly clinking them together this week.

On Friday morning I hit my rattle bag pretty softly and actually rattled in a group of 4 does which seems odd to me. They all got to 15 yards from me but never offered a great shot so I figured it was early and to not risk it.

After the does left a 1 1/2 year old 8 pointer came cruising through. He walked 20 yards broadside from me looking interested, then he walked down my lane I cut and peed on a mock scrape I have about 60 yards from my stand. It was cool. I'd say 2 more weeks and rattling will be very effective.

Top Bottom