Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To good to be true?

StixNstrings

After years of picking deer off of fenclines, weedy ditchlines and creeks running through agricultural fields Ive finally got permission to hunt a farm that has some of the most phenomenal whitetail habitat ive ever seen. Dont get me wrong with a few good treestand and blind decisions in the past Ive shot a few nice bucks in some less than likely locations, but this place looks like it should have some hidden monsters running about. the property has everything the deer need plenty of cover food and water it also seems to get very limited human pressure being very difficult to get to. I attached a photo I took from my treestand which appears to be somewhat of a deer funnel extending the timber and dried marshlands into the cornfieldsright below my stand there is an abandoned roadbed that used to run down along side a slough that looks like it dried up many years ago just across that road theres an opening in the fence the tree my stand is in, is in a timber that extends north from the slough area which appears to be pretty popular bedding area according the signs I seen there, all the trails in that timber and that I can see across the marshy area all come together on that road the only thing I havnt really seen is any deer Ive only a couple of slickheads and one very ugly buck. I just keep telling myself itll have to get better after all the corns picked I hope Im right. If I can hold out and wait I believe this place could produce some awesome deer I wish I wouldve had more time to scout prior to the season.
Pott_r_bottoms.JPG

Looks like a good spot to me. The corn is drying down right now, so deer are pounding the standing corn fields. Don't give up hope, once the corn is out (which is probably going to be awhile) things will change quite a bit.

I wish I did have a trailcam Ive hunted such open spots for so long, and spots that know several other people frequent Ive been to nervous to make that kind of investment and leave it where I couldnt keep an eye on it. I get nervous enough thinking about treestands out there all alone
mineo_stnd.JPG

Theres a farm access road that runs parallel the corn. "the corn I wish was gone by now" the timber that my stand is in is on the west side of the road the corn is on the east side. the timber where my stand is at is very narrow but the timber gets very wide to the north where the slough area is, all through that corridor I found rubs. I inserted photos of both ends of the timber so perhaps you could get the funnel effect of it. in the photo of the stand with son in it you can see how high the corn is and as much as its been raining it may be there a while.
dry_slough.JPG
stand.JPG

stixnstrings,
seems to me your in a good spot, any funnel is good, esp. now near rut.those bucks will cruise those funnels,lookiing for does, hang in there, the first week of november, may be your best friend, good luck.

Top Bottom