Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To Growl or not to growl???

Stu

Just talked with a buddy of mine whose brother used his growl only once this weekend. He blew the growl and look what comes to investigate...buck #1....buck #2....buck #3.....buck#4. He shot buck #4 and now is hunting does. Said it was the best $20 he ever spent.

My question is has anyone else had any luck with it???

Just recently bought the Primos buck roar call. Will be trying it for the first time this week. We'll see! I too am interested to see if anybody is having good results with these new calls.

I tried it (Primos call) once Sunday morning but I think it was too windy for any bucks to hear it. I will keep trying it though.

HunterMan
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

I tried mine last night and had a 130 class come running to me and straight downwind to scent check. This morning growled and ((3)) bucks came running and stood 5-10 yards looking for the source of the noise. They were not shooters but it was still an incredible experience!

so how long untill, this call is no longer effective (talkiong public land)?
smile.gif
I don't have 20 bucks, is my grunt tube sufficient.

Gonna give mine a try tomorrow morning. I'm gonna sit on the edge of a funnel that connects several bedding areas.

Also going to lay a drag with scent and try some rattling.

Mark S

It is a new call the both M.A.D. calls and Primos came out with this year. It is somewhat like a grunt call, but it is much louder and longer sound. If you go to either of the above websites, you can get alot more info. on it.

I think the growl/roar is going to be a item you use like rattling. The better the buck to doe ratio the better the call will work. Just like the more bucks in an area the better rattling works. I have yet to try it up here in da nort woods ya know; but I will on the next buck I see (hopefully this weekend).

Dean

The Roar works! I hit it at about 6:00 last night and at 6:10 it brought in a 160" bruiser. He was steaming mad and I watched him make a scrape and tear up 2 or 3 decent sized trees, the entire time staring in my direction. This went on for about 30 minutes, but unfortunately he wouldn't come any closer than about 40 yards. He was looking hard for whatever deer was trespassing on his turf, but when he couldn't see anything he lost intrest and vanished. I'll be back out there after him tonight!

I heard my first confirmed live "growl" a few weekends ago. (I was hesitant to tell anyone because I figured I'd get the "sure you did, everyone is hearing them now that the call is out") Anyway. There was 12-15 does feeding on a plot that is located at the bottom of several oak ridges. There was no mistaking it when it started. It sounded like an accellerating motorcycle. I heard it 5-8 times and could hear alot of crashing on the ridge above although I never saw the deer.

The interesting part was the reaction of the deer on the field. Several of the family groups flagged and ran away from the sound
confused.gif
. About half stayed in the field motionless looking up the hill. Eventually those that stayed relaxed and started feeding and more does came down the hill to the field from where the sound came from. Even though it was very loud a buddy was sitting 250 yards away didn't hear a thing.

Interesting experience and interesting difference in reactions of the deer.

[ QUOTE ]
(I was hesitant to tell anyone because I figured I'd get the "sure you did, everyone is hearing them now that the call is out")

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that people know to listen for a new vocalization I think more people will hear it. I thought I heard something like a growl two weekends ago but have conviced my self since then that it was just a long grunt affected by the wind.

Dean

Top Bottom