Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To Loop or Not to Loop... That is the ????

Rackaddict

Life Member
I'm trying to paper tune by bow and can't get a good tear. What I am getting is indicating a low nocking point. Checked and adjusted everything and nothing is working to satisfaction. The pro shop suggested the possibility that the string could be pinching my nocks with the eliminator button. Tried everything else. A string loop is about the only thing left to try.

So what's your preference? String loop or not? I have never used one and have preferred to use eliminator buttons. If I used a loop I'd always be thinking it would come loose at the worst possible time (like there's a good time). I can see the benefits of using one and not using one. It shoots good like it is and I could leave well enough alone but like they say, "Good enough is the enemy of better."
crazy.gif

Give me your take on it.

I've been shooting my bow without a loop for years till I just had my string replaced and the guy put one on and says its better so I guess I have no complaints yet but it does scare me just thinking about it coming undone. I didn't notice any differenc with my shooting yet never tested the flight on paper. I would try it.

Switched to a loop about 5 years ago and I've never had a problem. My current loop is at least 2 years old.

Tim

Rack,
I have used one however, it is one more thing to mess with when the moment of truth arrives. I quit using one two years ago and have never put one back on. When I shot the MQ32 and SQ2 I felt it was necessary because of the reasons you stated with the short ATA I was getting a little pinch.

I used a metal ultra nock.

String loop = better consistency. I would not shoot a bow without one. Not to mention less string wear. JMO

My opinion is similar to that of Limbs. I tried one for a year on my Mathews (which may have been the problem
grin.gif
) and it never felt the same as the direct contact that I had grown use to. I have been told several times about consistency and string wear, but I believe that thier is something to be said for having direct string contact. My string is 4 years old and I have had it re-served once.

My anchor point just didn't feel the same with the loop, which effected my <font color="red">confidence</font> .

I took mine off three years ago and have not been more happier. All the points addressed about string wear have not been an issue yet.

I shot for a while again tonight. I kept thinking using a loop. It was getting darker and I reached up and put my release on my string and was about to draw back and it suddenly occured to me that I do that without thinking. It's automatic and I could do it in pitch black if I wanted. If I used a loop, I'd have to look down to put my release on it. That would be fine if I only shot targets but when I'm hunting I want the motion to happen without a thought.

I'm staying loopless.

Thanks for the input guys.

On the contrary, just like it is natural to hook to the string, after using a loop you can do the same. I hook to my loop with out looking at it cause I'm used to it now. It just takes time to adjust, at lest for me it did. But use what you feel more comfortable with and have confidence in.

i went to a string loop two years ago and dont regret it it seems to help and easy to get use to it if you practice enough

There are plenty of pros/cons to a D-Loop/String loop. A D-loop will increase how far you draw the bow, but won't actually change the draw length of the bow itself. Becuase of this it will also change your anchoring point(s), which may throw you off temporarily - not a big deal.

One other thing to consider is that the majority of your speed comes from your draw length, especially if you have a shorter draw length than most, so a loop will rob you of some of this speed. The length of your loop will determine how much speed is being lost.

I think a D-loop helps to reduce quite a bit of human induced torque off the string, which will normally produce more consistant groups.

If you are worried about your D-loop becoming loose, and have access to a bow scale, just hook up your loop to the scale and press down on just the string to about 100lbs. This will make the knots really bite. But if your loop continues to come loose, you may take it to your local pro shop to make sure it is tied correctly (the knots have to be one either side to counter each others actions)

A D-loop does help to reduce damage to your center serving, but the difference is negligible.

My suggestion would be to go with your gut instinct, if your still confused as to which to choose, try both and find out first hand. Hope this helps!

Top Bottom