Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To Old Buck and others.

stuffy

In the past issues of Bowhunter magazine,there has been an add for a print,
named "The Kill Zone" , this is number five. This print is of another big buck,
jumping while an arrow has just been shot through it. Now the shot is a good
shot, but there is no blood on the deer or the arrow, but thats not the reason I brought
this thread up. Personally,myself, plus the guys in my shop,dont really like the
print. Maybe its just glorifying the kill, maybe its not what the non-hunter wants
to see. There's just something about it. The add also ask's, "Want something unique
to hang on your trophy wall ?". Dont mean to put you on the spot Old Buck, maybe
you dont publicly critique other artist' prints, but what do you and the rest of you
think about this print ? Would you actually hang this on "your " wall ?

the first print was kind've neat but all the others have looked too similar. a large buck a few feet from the edge of the timber with an arrow hole in it. i don't want to open a can of worms so i'll just say i'd hang one on my wall but certainly not more than one. the deer look realistic and the scenery is good also, and that's good enough for me.

It is a unique picture that is worth a thousand words. It makes me imagine that I was up in the tree and released the arrow. Outstanding work!!

Funny you should mention it. It is a great piece of artwork, but I am uncomforatable with it and have never really figured out why.

I don't feel I could hang them in my office. I go out of my way not to cater to the overly sensitive but I even think there is a limit. The hunting video people clean blood, tuck tongues and even put in fake eye for after the kill photos. It makes the picture more widely presentable.

Not to mention it's not made in Iowa! Right Old Buck?

I wouldn't want one of these prints. I like the prints that draw attention to the deer. This one makes you look at a deer being killed. Besides, most of my friends don't hunt, and that's okay with me . . . but they know how I hunt, and that I respect the animals I go after. These prints put the emphasis on killing the animal. I'd rather see the prints that show a bowhunter waiting on or drawing on a deer. Those are fun to look at.

Well let me put it this way, the pics rank right up there with Dan Fitzgeralds videos and they're crap, but I won't elaborate on that any further. I wouldn't buy one for any amount of money.

G6

Stuffy, good question. Thanks for putting me on the spot! For me there are several aspects to this situation.

First, I've been bowhunting for close to 35 years now. It is difficult to put into words the many things bowhunting means to me. This type of art does not capture the aspects of the sport that are important to me. Personally, I'd rather see art featuring a mature buck in his prime. If it is a hunting scene I like to see the buck outsmart the hunter or at least let the outcome remain in question.

Second, I'm concerned about the effect on the non-hunting public. About 10% of the population hunts, about 10% is anti-hunting and the remaining 80% is neutral. I hate to see anything with the potential to shift that 80% against sportsmen and all the good they do to support conservation and sound wildlife management. Not only do I intend to hunt for many years to come but I'd like future generations to be able to enjoy the outdoors through hunting.

Hope to see many of you at the open house this Friday-Sunday, then out to the woods!

Old Buck

Stuffy,
I agree 100 percent with what Old Buck and others have said. This is a very interesting topic, one that can have wide variations of interpretation.

The one thing that is great about art is that it can be a very private and personal experience. I too have also struggled with this print and I think that I have figured out what it is... there is a certain sadness that I experience when I shoot an animal and one that is unique to that situation, so when I look at this moment in time, captured on canvas, instead of being excited that you have made a good clean hit your normal reaction is to put a conclusion to the story. Unlike the open ended situation of a hunter ready to release his arrow this is one step further where you know the outcome and that is what makes these prints different from others. I think it accomplishes what the some artists want to do in making something original and unique. It is unfortunate however that they have become a cookie cutter prints with different animals.

Time to get serious boys, won't be around here much for a while...
grin.gif

Congrats to all you guys that have scored already. Been some nice bucks on here.

muddy, where did you find ground with blind, deaf deer that have no nose?
grin.gif
Post a picture soon...

It's all been said but just wanted to add my two cents. I think Limb Chicken brings up an excellent point about the sadness that accompanies the excitement when you harvest an animal. And for me, there are so many other great aspects of the hunt that to focus on just the one moment as the arrow passes through is glorifying the wrong aspect. That's one of the things that keeps me coming back to this site ... to see and hear the stories about the hunt. Yes, we kill the animals we hunt, but a true hunter does it with respect and reverance.

For the same reasons that Old Buck points out regarding not offending the non-hunting community, I'd also like to ask that everybody take a few extra minutes to position and pose your "trophy" photos so the beauty of the animal and your pride in the harvest aren't overshadowed by blood and guts. You owe it to yourself, the deer and your fellow hunters to not post photos of the deer lying in a pool of blood in the bed of a pickup. There are lots of good examples to follow right here on this site.

Good luck and good hunting.

Threebeards

Iadroptine,

I take that to mean you need directions to the gallery for the open house. Last time we kind of snuck in the back way.

If you are coming from the north on I-35 take the north Ankeny exit and turn south on Delaware. If you are coming from the south on I-35 take the south Ankeny exit and turn north on Delaware. Either way, next watch for Magazine and turn west. Then turn south on Cortina Drive. We're the first place on the west side. It is a block east and a block south of the John Deere Credit Union if you know where that is.

Hope you can make it!

Old Buck

Old Buck,

Thanks for the directions but you know the woods I was talking about.

Hope you have a great Open House, I will be in the tree stand but count no meeting up later in the year.

Good luck on all accounts.

IAdroptine

IAdroptine,
Thanks and good luck hunting! I'll be spending a lot of time in a tree myself but not for a couple days yet. Stay dry and shoot straight!
Old Buck

Top Bottom