Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

To P or not to P ...

FarmlandQDM

When you're in the bow stand and you've got to go, what do you do?

Just curious about opinions on how bowhunters resolve this issue, and if it really matters.

Ever have one shot? I have.
cloud.gif

Nalgene bottles were made for this sort of thing! I bought a special one to use for no other purpose, and made sure it was a transparent yellow one so I wouldn't mix it up with my water bottles!
grin.gif

It may seem funny to use a bottle, but it keeps from having a bunch of human scent dumped around your hunting area. Just put the lid on and pack it out with you when you leave. Works for me.

I'm not afraid to let her fly, I've even done it in scrapes before just to see what happened, they were worked the next day. I honestly don't think they equate our urine with human scent, just me 2 bits, what do I know????
confused.gif

I'll go whenever I need to. On one occasion, did what I needed to do and a few minutes later, a buck came directly under my stand with his nose down grubbing for acorns. He stuck his nose right in the wet soil and never even flicked his tail. I was videoing (no not my bathroom break) and leaned over the side of my stand and poured water on his back. He didn't even flinch at this. It was difficult not to giggle out loud. It was one of those self amusing moments.
grin.gif

I've read some interesting articles on this subject. The jist of one article was that deer did not necessarily equate humane urine scent with danger...just that is was a mammal, and that deer didn't necessarily spook from the smell of every mammal urine they came across (coyote, fox, dogs, etc)

I also let it fly when absolutlely necessary, and haven't noticed it spooking any deer.

I am always tenative when the urge hits me but here lately I have just let it fly! There was a thread on this last year and I think most everyone felt like it did not matter.

I could not believe this when I heard it, so I had to try it last year. Look up my post from last year called Mock Scrape Buck. Six cans of Busch Light later and I got some nice trail cam photo's.
grin.gif

I let it fly too
smile.gif
just make sure to watch the wind
blush.gif
Just like hunting, bad things happen when you don't play the wind.
grin.gif
I've heard the term "SKY DUMPING" before from a few friends, but we won't go there
wall.gif

I use to go right when I got out of the truck but after I left a pee(as our friends to the north would say) in a scrape and 20 min. later watched a buck put his nose right in it and then refreshed his scrape. I really don't think it matters.

I haven't tried "freshening" a scrape myself but I am going to this fall.

I always make it a point to hose down one of the truck tires before I leave for my stand. There's just something childishly fun watching the ground steam on a frosty morning as you pee.

Last year I bought and used a decoy for the first time. My routine was to carry in the decoy (antlers on it), set it up about 3 yards from a scrape, personally freshen the scrape and get in the stand. I intentionally waited til I got to the scrape rather than unloading at the truck. The first night that I used the decoy I bleated and grunted a 2 1/2 year old in that knocked my decoy into 4 pieces and stayed in bow range for 15 minutes staring and grunting at the pieces. Every day I hunted that stand same routine when I got there. Had bucks go to the scrape and smell and or freshen it and work the branch. Did not have one deer give any sort of a bad reaction at the scrape and most of them seemed to spend longer at it than what is normal. In saying that all were young bucks nothing with age. Does also gave no bad reaction. I sat that scrape during shotgun season as I hunt alone and that was the only scrape still in use. As for the decoy every deer that came around it gave me at least 5 minutes of shooting time. I intend to do the same thing this year. I hate hunting under pressure.

AGS

This question comes up every year. The first time I remember it being posted Muddy had some good luck at his special pee stop on the way to his stand. I thought it was crazy so I tried it the next year. I had a doe and her two yearlings walk up and stand at the spot I'd scraped out and used not 5 minutes earlier and sniff it with no reaction. They stayed within 20 yards for over 15 miutes and slowly fed away. I figured if a doe was not alarmed having her fawns with her then it's probably harmless to go when and where you want.

You mean I spent good money on a Fresh Scrape Scent Dripper and I had one with me the whole time? Well, I guess if I have to charge it with Busch Light it wasn’t wasted money.

Top Bottom