Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

tonights hunt

jeremy217

went out tonight and seen quite a few deer before it started snowing. seen what i thought was a big doe walking to my stand as it got closer I seen it was a shed buck, decieded to let it walk which was a hard decision, later after it started snowing I got down and walked finding 2 dead yearling that looked like they froze and then found a big doe that was shot double lung with a huge blood trail leading out to the road, not sure why they didnt look and dam was i mad thinkin about it, wasnt any tracks around making it look like they tried finding her, anyway ive seen quite a few small bucks that have already sheded or only have one and talked to people that have found nice sheds, I think there going to be alot of bucks killed during the antlerless season, what does everyone else think

The DNR's web site already has 820 shed bucks reported in Iowa.It will triple at least buy the end of the late rifle season.

As an added note...it also has 14,000 button bucks killed so far.For a total of almost 15,000 bucks killed and tagged with antlerless tags.

The DNR's web site already has 820 shed bucks reported in Iowa.It will triple at least buy the end of the late rifle season.
How many does actually get killed in that late season? I was curious what percent are shed bucks. Once again, in a large part, you make your own bed here.

I have something to say....not to piss people off, but..................I live in wisconsin and own land in sw iowa. I have been hunting there for the last 6 years. I can shoot doe and bucks out my cabin window almost every day. When it comes to hunting, it is so easy to shoot a doe. Why is everyone so hungry to go and shoot more doe/shed bucks/nubby bucks after all the other seasons are over. In wisconsin, the dnr made us shoot so many doe that 50% of hunters poled didn't even get a deer and most said that the year absolutely sucked. Iowa has much more deer, but the same idea applies.......keep shooting tons of does, it will kick us in the butt I feel. I like said, this isn't pointed at anybody......maybe it is that in WI, we don't have the hunting that I loved years ago and it is because of people shooting a deer just to shoot and because they can. Give the deer a break in hard times like this!

I love the late season hunt with the rifle, you just have to make sure what you are shooting at is a doe, but I also hunt private farms. Sure I have shot button bucks, but so do the guys who shotgun hunt the farm next to me. I killed 3 last year during late season. With that being said it is a fun test of judging distance and taking a animal at over 300 yards. To me after you factor in windage, bullet drop, that they are already pretty skiddish in the open country, I feel that it is more difficult then shooting a arrow at 20 yrds.

And I also get to hunt with guys who I normally wouldnt get to hunt together with during the regular season. Just another type of deer camp. When you can sit in a blind with a buddy and kill some does and help out his or my management then Im all for it.

LOL......How much test of judging distance is there with a range finder.I don't see the "sport" of shooting does at 300yds.It would be more sporting to shoot coyotes than deer that you can't tell the sex of.
Do you guys that shoot does in late Jan. field dress the 3 month old fawns too?

Nah, I stain them, clear them and put them in polyester resin.
smallfetus.jpg

Like was said before, no sense in bitching about it, just quit shooting antlerless deer period until we get our population back to where WE want it.

Sounds to me again,,if you see a ton a deer on your farm,,or hunting land,,thin them. If you don't, leave them alone.The DNR doesn't really care if they are bucks or does, as long as the herd is reduced,Ditto for most farmers,long distance drivers,suburban landscapers,,there is quite a list.Sometimes I try to see how those that don't care much for deer, or don't hunt, might look at deer. I can see where they are coming from. Probably look at them like I might rabbits, or squirrels. On the other hand,,loving all the natural wonders created for us, I try to leave wildife alone, to do their own thing. I like to watch deer, and I love their taste. If I didn't I'd not hunt them,,, but still photograph them. I got off the subject,,but I think it is interesting how some areas the numbers are down, and people want to lay off, and in other areas, deer are numerous. I am with the slim crowd. I also just think,,the animals are trying to survive now,,and I feel sorry for them. A purely human emotion. Nature,,,has no mercy.

Shoot a bambi and risk getting a Button Buck. Shoot a doe, that is most likely carrying twins (one of them a buck) and take out a future buck, shoot a big doe and risk it being a shed buck. No matter what you shoot, you will take a future buck out of the picture, its just that simple.

Im going out tonight, one more tag to fill. I hope to shoot a 2 y.o. doe.

Back to the original post, Jeremy did you call your CO after finding the doe that was most likely shot from the road? And had it been eaten on by any scavengers?

LOL......How much test of judging distance is there with a range finder.I don't see the "sport" of shooting does at 300yds.It would be more sporting to shoot coyotes than deer that you can't tell the sex of.

So you telling me my sport of shooting a deer to feed a young family isnt sporting? I happen to know that you cant eat antlers and if a young family down the road ask me if I have killed anything yet or if I could if I had time. So to help them out...I head out with rifle in hand. And sure a rangefinder does help with judging distance, but doesnt help with elevation change or tell you how fast that crosswind is blowing. Dont know if you have tried but a deer at 300 yrds downhill, isnt at a 300 yrds according to a bullet.

So it is sporting to you if I shoot a coyote at 300 yrds? Why because it cant grow antlers?And a spotting scope works pretty well at 300 yrds, its the young ones that you have trouble judging, especially the twins.

On your fawn comment....actually to some of the people that are neighbors with a buddy of mine, they are a delicacy. And if they get my deer, they dont like it field dressed either. So I assume they sautee them Or Boil them, then season and eat.

Hopefully I have answered your questions :)

The fawn comment was in regard to the unborn 3month old fawns inside the does you shoot. Are those a delicacy?
At 300yrds can you tell if you are shooting a shed buck or doe?I seriously doubt it.
Most people don't care about that.If its legal they will shoot it.
The late rifle antless season is all about money.The state don't relly care about the deer herd in Iowa. If it wasn't about money why would they start the rifle season on the 11th of Jan? Because it makes people buy new lisences that wouldn't normally buy one till April or next fall.If it wasn't about money they copuld make last years lisences good till Feb 1st.
2009 deer season was not good for a lot of people.5 more years of the Jan. antlerless season will ruin Iowa deer hunting for good.In 5 years if you don't own a big chunk of land you won't be seeing many deer.

I agree with you Archery 95, but if the deer pop goes down, and hunters get frustrated, and purchase less licenses, then the incoming $$ goes down too. Some regulations are short sighted, but you'd think some one educated , and in charge, would realize this. Then,,again,,deer are elusive. Most hunters don't really know how many there are around. If they don't see much in their area, they assume it's just them, and there must be more down the road. I know the DNR where I came from, always,,without fail, would say the herd was biggest ever. Many began not to believe this, but most would say,"Who am I ,,to question, the "Experts", who get paid to know"? So the herd went down,doe tags were buy one a day- for awhile,,,and as far as I know, the license sales are still pretty good. Of coarse I haven't been back there in quite some time.

After the 10th, I am done and chasing coyotes and sheds will be the goal. As for bucks in one area, I have seen about 20-30% shed maybe more, another area, I have yet to see a shed buck????

Top Bottom