Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Too early to rattle??

G

Great Lakes Hopeful

I posted a topic earlier this month on what to expect on my first trip to Iowa but didn't get much response, so I will ask a little more specific question. The first trip I will make to Iowa to hunt falls on the 19th -21st of October. Since I don't know when the pre-rut really kicks in I thought I'd ask you guys if it is worth bringing the horns or is it a little to early? Last year, hear in Michigan a buddy rattled in a three bucks at once and killed one on the 25th of October. How is the season progressing out there? Thanx in advance for the responses!!!!

Pre rut doesn't really kick in till about the 20 of oct. But this year it started a liitle earlyer. I've herd of people seeing buck already chasing doe's. I heard a guy called in a buck with a grunt call.
But they probably wont get to excited till, the 20. It probaby wouldn't hurt if you rattled alittle. I wouldn't go all out. Just a few little grunts, and a few clashes of the antler.
Season has been going good. There's still lots of weeds in the timbers, so it's hard to see. Farmers are still working to get their crops out. I've been seeing deer though.
Well, good luck!

I dont believe it is to early to rattle. HOWEVER, LIGHT AND SPARRINGLY. SATURDAY NIGHT OCT 6, I BELIEVE I HEARD 2 DIFFERENT SMALL FIGHTS MYSELF AND MY BOSS IN WISCONSIN HAD AN ALL OUT WAR LAST SAT. ALSO.., HIS WAS AROUND 5 PM AND INVOLVED THREE DIFFERENT DEER. MINE WAS LATER IN THE EVENING, BUT IM SURE THEY WERE DEER... ANYWAY LIGTH RATTLING AND SHORT BURST,,,,,,SAVE THE GOOD STUFF TILL OCT 27 OR SO. M 350 OUT P.S. NEVER LEAVE HOME WITHOUT YOUR GRUNT CALL;;;NEVER

Had a friend see two bucks spar last night right at dusk.

While driving home tonight to watch the president's speech I swung by to get some fast food and then head home via a side street I wouldn't normally take. Out of habit I looked at a bean field as I drove by (about 6:00pm) it was loaded with deer. Did a U-turn and pulled over. There were at least 21 deer no more than 75 yards off the road. I counted 11 buck to potential P&Y. Most of the time the bucks were all grouped up and were clicking antlers and sparing a little. I watched for about a half-hour as cars drove by and then headed home.

Should have gone back with my camera now that I think about it. I was totally amazed it's a spot that I've seen deer in before but normally just a doe or two.

Don't for a minute think it's to early! I botched a shot on a 150+ at 7 YARDS! on Tuesday (Oct 9) at 6pm. I was rattling up an 8pt from a hay field as he came a big ten pt snuck in from behind right up to the tree I was in. I was caught sitting. After 5min he walked past the front of me toward the 8pt. The lower limb hit my boot top and the arrow went wild. Damn the luck.
Then last night I rattled in a smaller 8pt from about 200 yards. He was softly grunting every other step! I heard atleast 30-40. He passed at 12 yards but was less than I'm looking for. I heard him sparring with another buck about 70 yards away and managed to rattle BOTH back in. The other was a nicer 8. Still to small and it was now dark. I ended up using my flash light after 30 min to move them off.
Also in 99' I rattled in the 10 pt. (see 99 photo gallery) on Oct 17. And he came on a dead run through standing corn.
It's not to early to rattle. They guys I watched at 10 yards went at it pretty hard for 30 min or more.

[This message has been edited by scout (edited 10-12-2001).]

Thank you guys for all the info. I am extremely excited about my upcoming hunts out there, as the season is starting slow here. I will definitely have the horns with me. We'll see what happens. I'll be back the first couple days in November and also the middle of November so I'm sure I'll get to do a fair share of rattling. Thanks again for your reply's!!!!1 Happy hunting!!

the timing seems to me to depend on the increase in buck activity..when I start to see solid scrape activity and more rubs popping up its time! just some light rattling and a few grunts to get his attention works best for me...in 93 I rattled
one morning and got burned by a big buck..snuck up to me in a low depression in the woods..
a week later same setup this time I watched that depression and sure enough there he came again..I took him at 12 yards..6x5 that grossed 147 and netted 139 p&y.
there were way bigger bucks in there so the light rattle got his attention...any thing more this early may have spooked him...
just play it by ear..make them search you out..good luck

GENTLEMAN START YOUR ANTLERS!!!! IM TELLING YOU FROM NOW TILL THE 27 LIGHT RATTLE, AND GRUNT.... THE DOES ARE NOT QUITE READY, BUT THE COOLER WEATHER IS NOT WHAT WE ARE USED TO THE LAST FEW YEARS. I STILL BELIEVE IT TO BE A '' FALSE RUT'' NOW BUT AS A STATED A MONTH AND A HALF AGO---OCT. 27;NOV2 ARE GOING TO BE THE BEST PRE-RUT WEVE SEEN IN 5 OR 6 YEARS. I HAVE EATEN CROW B-4 BUT NOT THIS TIME I HOPE???? BE READY, WATCH THE DEER THAT FALL IN THIS TIME FRAME. MY BEST BET IS OCT 29-31. THE BIG BOYS WILL BE ON THE PROWL ALL DAY LONG(10 A.M TWO P.M WILL BE EXCEPTIONALLY AWESOME FOR CALLING BIG BUCKS.WEATHER STAYING COOL--HOLD ON FOR A GREAT RIDE. HEY, THATS JUST MY OPINION? ANY ARGUEMENT?N.E. IOWA IS WHERE I'M TALKING, TOU SOUTHERN BOYS MAY STILL HAVE TO WAIT 7-10 DAYS. M350 OUT

I have been hunting southern Iowa, and I have just recently seen a little bit of chasing, and some smaller bucks locking racks and messing around a little. I think it will pick up in a couple weeks, but I’m going to try doing some rattling this weekend and I’ll let you know how it goes.

Good luck out there! At least you've missed most of the rain. Ought to have a few good days of hunting weather.

WOW, this thread started over a decade ago. Rattling will work now for sure. I know of a lot of big bucks that were duped the 2nd weekend of early muzz.

Top Bottom