Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

too late for food plots?

SWBUCKHNTR

I hunt a farm with quite a few does and quite a few decent bucks. I want to get my wife on a nice early season bow hunt and want her to be able to sit over a food source and have a lot of action. So I hired a guy to put my fall plots in this year I check the farms last weekend and nothing was done. Now I have a little time over the next 4 days is there anything I could plant that we could have some action on by the middle of october? I was thinkin about annual rye? Turnips would grow I think but wouldnt produce much forage and bulbs would be too small. Any other thoughts?

Rye comes up the fastest, I'd go with that at this date. Hope you got some moist ground because only a dry forecast,,possibly for next two wks. Unfortunately..

I hunt a farm with quite a few does and quite a few decent bucks. I want to get my wife on a nice early season bow hunt and want her to be able to sit over a food source and have a lot of action. So I hired a guy to put my fall plots in this year I check the farms last weekend and nothing was done. Now I have a little time over the next 4 days is there anything I could plant that we could have some action on by the middle of october? I was thinkin about annual rye? Turnips would grow I think but wouldnt produce much forage and bulbs would be too small. Any other thoughts?

OK, I gotta know... What did this guy say?????!?!??!! "Ah, I forgot and forgot to tell you I forgot to plant that stuff"??? How in the heck does he just not do it?!?! WOW, that sucks!!!

OK, here's what I'd do... I'd plant some areas with winter rye for sure. I'd also plant another area with Ground Hog Radishes & maybe some rape. Turnips aren't the way to go, grow slower than radishes. I'm not sure if even radishes will do anything BUT it's worth a shot.

I'd also put in some oats and mix in some clover or something.

Throw in a bunch of soybeans with the rye, oats, and clover. The beans will be perfect for the first few weekends. Get it done know you will have a nice stand in two weeks.

Sent from my DROIDX using IW

Throw in a bunch of soybeans with the rye, oats, and clover. The beans will be perfect for the first few weekends. Get it done know you will have a nice stand in two weeks.

Sent from my DROIDX using IW

Good idea! Get the fastest maturing you can- yes, I know, they aren't going to mature but help speed growth a little. I'd also throw in some Austrian Winter Peas, cheap & great!

That really sucks that they didn't get it planted for you.

Gonna be hard to get anything growing with the forecast that we have.
Either plant before a rain or make sure you get it into the soil.

Rye will be the best. GFR are also fast growing under the right conditions.

Clover, beans and peas will really not amount to anything without any rain and as cold as it is supposed to get at night.

Let us know what you plant and how it does. I just planted rye and GFR into my beans last weekend before that soaker. Was going to plant clover but did not get my clover in time and might wait until next year now.

Good luck.

Thanks for the input guys. I am debating what I want to do. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive to the farm and with no rain in the forecast it is hard to spend the time and money on the seed. I know there is some soil moisture because it rained there Sunday most the day. If I decide to make the trip I will take pics of the work and let you know how things turn out. As far as the guy not doing the work it went something like yeah I will be there for sure to plant it by this weekend. That was back around the middle of august. When I called him he said he was too busy and never got a chance to get there. It pisses me off because I hired him because we just had a baby and I didn't want to spend the time away from the family. Now knowing how things turned out I would have just done it myself.

Well you up there in NE Iowa consider yourself lucky for that inch.

I consider myself very lucky.

I had to replant 3/4 of my brassicas because of no rain last month.

Luckily I planted before a nice rain and my cereal combo is doing well.

I don't take it for granted. I could never be a farmer. :eek:

Well glad you know how lucky you are. Atomosphere continues to show how many ways a good rain can miss Se Iowa. Been going on for 4 months come Oct. I know some spots better than others, but my clover is non existent. winter wheat in a few struggling spots. Small rape that came up has been devoured already. fields look like a waste land,,crunch when you walk. Ponds dried up. Deer wil be hardpressed to find anthing green. I see light rain down there today,,better than nothin..

Well I got some planted about 5 minutes before I was done it started raining and rained light but steady for 45 minutes or so. I am hoping for that low pressure system to spin on us one more day. Thanks risto. I wouldn't hire him anyway seems to arrogant. I took some pictures I will get them posted up when I get home tomorrow.

Top Bottom