Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Too much pressure?

IowaDave

PMA Member
The "Full Day Hunts" post got me thinking.....what do you guys consider 'too much pressure' or spending too much time in an area/spot?

I know it's going to vary greatly by situation & size of your spot, but my 'go to' spot is 200 acres of swich grass that has one of the only timbers in the area right across the road and that timber has no hunting at all in it. There are very few trees on the property, so we built 2 permenant tower stands overlooking 2 different 1 acre brassica food plots that are 1/3 mile apart on different sides of the property. Due to the lack of trees, the only other stands I have on the property are each only about 150 yards from the tower stands in wooded draws.
I'm really careful about scent control (shower before leaving, change clothes when I get out of the truck, etc), don't hunt a stand when the wind is bad for a stand and don't hunt there much before this time of year, but since I have so few places to sit & 2 of the 4 are so close to each other I'm always worried I'm going to burn the place out.
As I read about some guys saying they're going to do all day sits for the next week, I've got to think whether they realize it or not, they're educating the deer to a point. Or maybe they've got enough area to hunt, they can move around enough that they're not worried about it. And I'm by no means knocking the guys who do this....just wondering what you do to make it work.
How far do you think is far enough away from a stand that you've been sitting in a lot to move to and not have the deer be educated?
I know some guys have only 20 acres to hunt and they regularly kill big deer, so just trying to get other's thoughts on this.

I think all day sits are better for pressure where I hunt. Most of my stands are great for not educating deer, its the getting two and from that can be problematic. Instead of taking two trips in and out in 1 day, the one trip has less impact. This is just my thought of course...and just my thinking that once in stand I do ok at not spooking anything.

general thought.... agree with above. It is less pressure to sit all day than walk in and out. That is if the wind is conducive to such a thing and doesn't change

And I know the deer education is from entry, sit and exit...the whole shebang. Just saying I feel good once I get set up

I think ppl overthink things sometimes when it comes to deer hunting. It is just a deer, they are not rocket scientist. Hunt the right wind and you will be fine.

I think ppl overthink things sometimes when it comes to deer hunting. It is just a deer, they are not rocket scientist. Hunt the right wind and you will be fine.

You hit the nail right on the head! It's rut time and deer will be traveling constantly. Get in there and get set and stay off them phones!

Top Bottom