Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Top 5 public lands?

Re: Public Land Advise

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what would I expect the number of hunters to be?
</div></div>

I don't know anything about the spots you mentioned but the public land in my area (SE Iowa) sees pretty heavy action.

You might want to contact Iowa DNR biologists close to the areas your interested in for more information.

Hunters using those areas may be reluctant to give out information that you are hoping for.

A scouting trip might be in order to also better determine a good area but won't prepare you for a "crowd" when you get there. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what would I expect the number of hunters to be?
</div></div>Hunters using those areas may be reluctant to give out information that you are hoping for.
</div></div>

You are probably right about that. Your biologist suggestion may be the source for an honest assessment.

Almost every county has public land that is hard to get to and sees less pressure because of it. I would suggest you narrow your area down first, and then start doing your homework. The DNR website has links to some good info that would be as good a place as any to start.

Some of the public land i used to hunt, i had to myself in the pre rut timeframe. When the rut got hot, of course there were a few more bowhunters. Gun seasons were downright ridiculas with all the people.

But 90% of the people didn't go as far back as i did during the bow season.

Go early, GO DEEP.

I heard Clay County is pretty nice /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turtL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I heard Clay County is pretty nice /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/tired.gif </div></div>

Now I may be one of those dreaded out-of-staters but I ain't no dummy and that is about as helpful as tits on a boar. Is there even a tree left in that county? I also get the feeling that I ain't in the club but I can accept my fate. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif

Without giving up TOOOOOO much information, is it too much to ask to rank the top public lands in your fine state.

Most of the guys who have worked hard enough to find the best public land know better than to get on this site and yap about it. There are just too many people reading these posts and too many people that wouldn't think twice about stepping on a guys toes.

Try to get ahold of an Iowa Sportsmans Atlas, by the Sportsman's Atlas Company. I didn't see a website in the book.

It has all the public lands in every county listed. Generally Iowa has alot less public land than most states. But good places can be found. That coupled with aerial photos. Might want to look for public lands away from heavily populated areas.

#5 - Mines of Spain recreation area (Dubuque county)

#4 - Whitepine Hollow (Dubuque county, I think)

#3 - Whitewater Canyon (Dubuque, Jackson, and Jones counties)

#2 - Sny Mcgill (Alamakee county)

#1 - Yellow River Forest (Alamakee county)

iowaPete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MadisonB&C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most of the guys who have worked hard enough to find the best public land know better than to get on this site and yap about it. There are just too many people reading these posts and too many people that wouldn't think twice about stepping on a guys toes. </div></div>

Thanks for you concern. A couple of people has sent me a PM and the information they have shared with me has been greatly appreciated. So far no one has given away any secret honey holes if you are wondering nor would I expect them too. Just looking for some general info to narrow my search since I am looking at entire state of possibilities.

Every state is alittle different, in Ga its common knowledge which areas are the best thanks to Georgia Outdoor News magazine publication's annual ranking.

Please, take my post above as just good humor.

So far I have a list of 3 areas I am looking at and would like to add a couple of more. We are archery hunting and we have generally been looking in zones 3, 4, and 5. Less people in zone 3 to compete with it seems like. Also seems like anywhere there's lots of timber, there is good bucks. My main concerns are hunting pressure, deer numbers, and wanting to hunt big areas. Too much money and planning involved to risk competing for woods in some of the smaller areas.

Thanks Iowabucks, I will look into the Atlas.

Respectfully,
a guy form GA

Top Bottom