Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Top dressing chicory?

Hoody

Because of the extremely wet spring we had/are having (my plot is on the side of a hill), I missed the chance to frost seed my 3 acre plot of clover and chicory that I had drilled in last spring when we had our CRP put in. I think, because it was drilled in, it was put in to deep, and has since come up a little on the thin side. So this year I was going to frost seed, but missed my chance.

My question is, can I top dress the chicory over the plot with a hand spreader? And if I can, at what rate should I use for coverage? I figure I can walk the plot sooner than I can spread with my ATV because of the wet soil, and I am looking around for some chicory seed. Also, if I can top dress, should I do it before I mow the plot down, or wait and mow first, then seed? I want to add something to it this spring, before I mix in brassicas this summer for the fall and winter. Suggestions, please?

Hoody

I think that since you missed out on the window for frost seeding, top dressing will be hit and miss without working the ground.

If I did try it, I would go extra heavy on the seed rate and chicory is much more expensive than most clovers.

You do have the Spring rains and plenty of moisture working for you now though.

But, you may get a real poor percentage of germination just broadcasting into an existing plot at this time.

I would agree with Ghost...might be pretty iffy but I can't say for positive it won't work.

White clover spreads out somewhat by stolons so your clover might surprise you yet.

If it germinated at all it might thicken up some.

A better bet would be to check on a no-till drill from your county conservation board but perhaps it's to hilly for that even.

If you want to try some chicory...give Welters a call, they have a couple varieties.

Welters Chicory selection

This is a open thought, not necessarily advice...

What if you broadcast the chicory over moderately wet ground and then drove back and forth over it with your truck or ATV, etc, to "stomp" the seed into the soil a bit. It may not be ideal, but my guess is that you could get some decent success with that.

Having a little left over clover seed one time and nowhere else I wanted to plant... I just spun it out of my bag seeder over the top of mowed brome and to my surprise the clover came in fairly well, certainly better than I thought it would. The ground was wet when I did this, but it was after normal frost seeding time.

[ QUOTE ]
"stomp" the seed into the soil a bit.

[/ QUOTE ]

We used to have good luck seeding into pasture and letting the cows "tramp" it so it's true if you can cultipack, or run the ATV over it, it would help.

Hoody...check this portion of the Clover thread for seeding rates and info about chicory.

Here are some photos I took on the 13th. Just wanted to show you what I have as of right now.

[image]http://imageevent.com/hoody/farminfo?p=31&n=1&m=24&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=2[/image]

[image]http://imageevent.com/hoody/farminfo?p=35&w=4&c=4&n=0&m=24&s=0&y=1&z=2&l=0[/image]

[image]http://imageevent.com/hoody/farminfo?p=36&w=4&n=1&c=4&m=24&s=0&y=1&z=2&l=0[/image]

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some photos I took on the 13th. Just wanted to show you what I have as of right now.

13%20Apr%2007%20food%20plot%20002.jpg

13%20Apr%2007%20food%20plot%20003.jpg

13%20Apr%2007%20food%20plot%20005.jpg

13%20Apr%2007%20food%20plot%20009.jpg

13%20Apr%2007%20food%20plot%20010.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Really the clover doesn't look that bad for this early. I think it will fill in once it's gets going.

It's not too hilly (based on those pics) to no-till chicory into the clover, but there is also enough bare ground that chicory seed should make soil contact if you broadcast it.

If you can get a hold of a cultipacker it would make fast work of pressing the chicory seed into the soil as Daver suggested.

I added some pics of chicory in the clover thread in case your wondering what it looks like.

I could be wrong as rain but I believe that you will end up with a good thick stand of clover by this fall.
waytogo.gif

Thanks for getting the pics to appear. I wasn't sure if I did it wrong, or if I am too new to post photos.

Yes, I do have a cultipacker. I didn't know if I should do that or not, in case I would damage the clover that is up. Sounds like I would be alright, though. I think I will give it a try. Thanks guys.

Hoody

Top Bottom