Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tordon RTU

MO-APE

I can't stand those smaller bottles and "dish soap top" applicators. I carry around an old paint brush to help clear saw dust and spread, but that's about it.

Any creative applicators out there that you've come up with? Also, anyone ever make a holster of some sort for the bottle so you can keep with you after the cut?

I've wondered about using a "windex" style hand sprayer with Tordon RTU for clearing small brush like honeysuckle & oriental bittersweet. Going to try that this spring.

I saw one guy using a jack Daniels bottle with sprayer on top instead of the lid. I think he had a 60/40 solution if I remember right.

A spray bottle works great. That's the only way I apply Tordon to cut stumps and also when doing the "hack-n-squirt".

Make life easy..... Go buy a $90 Stihl Back-pack sprayer. Then, if you don't wanna fill with those silly little jugs, just buy it by the 2.5 gallon bottles, PATHWAY is the label name. Forestry suppliers is one example of where to get it. All we're talking is a ready to use mix that's mainly 2,4-d with Picloram. That's it, it's not that tricky of stuff. Get the backpack sprayer and you'll later kick yourself for every carrying anything or messing with another method. make sure that sprayer is permanently marked "TREE KILLER" on it as you never wanna put other stuff in there if you forgot, never flushed it like crazy. I make mine 100% dedicated to Tordon. Stihl is best back-pack sprayer for the money, IMO. Not one problem over many years with about 4-5 of them. Been through about 10 Solo's and never use those again.

For non-commercial use I have a liter solo sprayer. Been using my own mix of 25% field grade roundup. Want to freeze proof it? Mix it with windshield washer fluid.

Most Commercial spray bottle heads will fit a Tordon RTU bottle. To carry a bottle around I use a belt pouch that is meant for carrying a water bottle around, that covers the spray head. Try to find one that is plastic inside so any residue does not leak through onto you. I also use one to carry an extra bottle of chemical.

I do not like to use backpack sprayers any longer. I have had to many leak onto me or have slipped and had them spill. I prefer to use a 2.5 gal hand sprayer now.

I would urge you to look at what you are treating and the time of the year. Is Tordon really necessary? If you time applications right you can kill just as much with Glyphosate (Round-up) by adjusting the percentage of active ingredient. I do a lot of treatments through out the year. Tordon is one of the last options, either because of the target plant or the time of the year. Misuse of Tordon will do a lot of damage if it trans-locates through the soil or root graphs.

Agree on above. Tordon is a nasty herbicide for your body too. 2,4-d is not something with a good reputation on health. Use with caution.
On the back pack & getting wet thing... I had that with all other backpack sprayers too BUT now with my Stihl- non issue. Does not leak at all. My solo would leave me drenched every time. Stihl is great. Just Fyi.

I like to use the liter sprayers and attach them to my belt using metal strapping. I use garlon 4 and bark oil. It does not root graph.
picture.php

picture.php

Forestryguy,
What time of the year is "right" to use only Glyphosate? Is 41% enough to use or does it need to be stronger?

Forestryguy,
What time of the year is "right" to use only Glyphosate? Is 41% enough to use or does it need to be stronger?

I would use Glyphosate in the late summer to early/mid fall (mid August till a per-longed freeze is expected). If you think that you will have freezing temps for a day or two I would add a biodegradable glycerol (RV anti-freeze). 41% would be strong enough. On most tree species 30% is strong enough. The amount of active ingredient needed varies on the species that you are targeting. If you are targeting Honey Suckle 10% s sufficient, 30% for Maple, 100% for Locust or Osage.

I would contact a District Forester, they know what is working best in your area. I would also caution that on some of these application rates you are technically going "off" label. The product is listed as forest/woody species approved, but the rates are higher than what is listed on the label.

Top Bottom