Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tough Call--Which one to go after

nosna

This year I planted approx. 3 acres of food plots on the property I hunt. It seems to have pulled a large number of deer back onto the property (post EHD). This year I have been running cameras hard, and I have had these two bucks since spring turkey season. Each buck has its benefits, but which one should I go after? I would like to know the thoughts of the group..

Thank you

The first deer appears 6.5+ and the second we need a better body picture, but he looks mature from that pic. I'd choose the deer that is most huntable since their racks do not have a large difference in score. Even better is try to kill both since you get multiple tags in Iowa!

1st one almost seems to be on the decline - 2nd one could add inches on nex year- without full body hard to tell. I would say hunt for the first Buck and give the 2nd a one year pass

That's what I was thinking....I feel as though either will be hard to pass. The double drop came by last night but I was out of camera light. Hopefully they keep coming by. Both are new to the farm this year.

to be honest i would not be ashamed to put either on my wall and would shoot either one i had first chance at, unless you can assure that deer will not leave your property which you own and no one else hunts it. the orange army would probably chase that drop tine deer till it died of natural causes, but if you play the "mature game" pic one is the one your after

Thanks guys.... I will go after the first one for sure... But I think passing the drop will be hard. I am hunting recurve only this year so it will make it tough regardless. I hate the "orange army" and stay off the land during those weeks to help create a sanctuary.

Well I thought I would send an update. I had a shot on the drop tine buck the first night at 12 yards...Problem was...It was 10 min past shooting light.. It was fun watching and attempting to video him...but he was a safe.. A few nights later hunting my other food plot around dark the old buck showed up. I watched him slowly feed across the plot until he reached 18 yards... Shooting a traditional bow with traditional arrows this year will have its rewards, but watching the buck duck the shot was hard to say the least. I was hunting out of a bind and somehow the bow or string struck part of the blind making a "pop" that buck about hit the ground...The best news...Clean miss! The past few days have been slow...The October lull is in full swing... The "mature" buck movement on camera has gone from daytime to early morning. I do have a new buck that has recently shown up on camera. I hope he stays around.. Thoughts on age/score. Looks to be a typical 8. But look who he is traveling with...

I'd go for the 1st buck as well, but if the 2nd offered a shot I'd take it in a heartbeat. From the 2nd round of pictures they're both definitely mature and would earn a spot on my wall if I was in your shoes. Tough luck on the shot, sounds like they're both killable deer though, good luck!

Top Bottom