Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tough Girl

203ntyp

PMA Member
This old matriarch doe is still surviving after the top of her spine was blown off 6 years ago by a neighbor. She's been around my house for 3 years before she was shot and 9 years old now. I didn't think she was going to make it catching her on the cam about 5 weeks after she was wounded. She aborted her fawns and the following spring she was skin and bones. Low and behold she had fawns again the next year, looked good and is still the head doe. Amazingly tough old girl!

Old doe.jpg

Looks like she has come back strong. Amazing how tough they are!
I don’t think the spine would of been totally severed or she would’ve of dropped in her tracks. But yes they are incredibly tough .

Reactions: HWC
Obliviously it didn't sever the spine but the neighbor said she dropped like a rock upside down and when he went back to get her she was walking slowly away.
Obliviously it didn't sever the spine but the neighbor said she dropped like a rock upside down and when he went back to get her she was walking slowly away.
So you wonder if it hit just the top of the spine barely you would think there would of been some nerve damage though boy them animals are tough. Just crazy!!!

Looks like just hit the backstraps. Good title, sums it up. Pictures like that are inspiring, makes you wonder what you could overcome if you had to.

This right here. Imagine if any of us got blasted in the top of the spine. Would we be walking slowly anywhere? Animals are amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U
This right here. Imagine if any of us got blasted in the top of the spine. Would we be walking slowly anywhere? Animals are amazing.

Yes you’re right very tough

Looks healthy as a horse right now!!!
On one hand- they are tougher than nails when folks try and kill em. Then on another hand- they die from the tiniest things like Midges with ehd or they are suicidal running in front of cars or all the other million ways they die.
Survival and suicidal machines!!!
I got a doe that’s had tongue hanging out for 3-4 years now- fun to track them over the years! 17.jpeg

I've had similar experiences with "how did that deer survive that" shots from the neighbors. It kind of takes away the old "I shot this deer because it was limping and certainly wouldn't have survived. I put it out of it's misery so now I'm a hero, please pat me on the back". I've always thought that unless the injury was extreme, there's a good chance it may survive. The tenacity of these animals will never cease to amaze me.

I shot a buck a few years back, the neighbors shot him with straight wall and they said, "man he just dropped so we kept pushing and would come back"... He got up, and RAN about 3/4 across the valley, hit the woods, and walked right up to me (I had zero idea they had shot him at the time) When I skinned him out, I was majorly confused because one vertebra was literally blown apart, no idea how he could go on. After that, I went and talked to them (knew the group) and thats how I knew what happened and where he came from. Super tough animals, its amazing.

Reactions: HWC
Many years ago my dad dropped a doe in her tracks. He waited several minutes, actually walked up to her and kicked her in the butt, nothing. He came to get me and we returned to field dress, no deer. Blood trail took us a long ways before we lost blood and her. I’d say she she kicked his butt, lol.

Top Bottom