Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

tough one?

labralover1

my cousin purchases a new piece of ground 3 years ago, it is thirty acres of river bottom w/ 8 acres of CRP/food plots/sapplings. it is in a very high pressure area in an area notorius for shotgun hunters shooting everything that has a rack, it is also in a county that produces very few record book deer. we have tried talking with the neighbors to get them into our management plan/ we also have sole permission the neighboring 40 acres. in two years of bowhunting this property i have only seen one deer in the 140 range and a very few that will touch 120 although i know of 1-2 booners shot in the past two years in the square mile surronding this bottom. so my question is do we shoot this guy or keep to our plan hoping the neighbors follow suit. its the dude on the left. also approx age and score guesses appreciated for both for the fun of it, tough w/ only one pic i know but try anyway.
deer20cam20picts200831.jpg

I dont think you will find too many neighbors that wouldn't shoot that buck. He looks like a good one to me.. I would say mid 140's to 150 on the left and 125 to 130 on the right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: labralover1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> so my question is do we shoot this guy or keep to our plan hoping the neighbors follow suit.</div></div>

hoofline.gif

I also seriously doubt that many of your neighbors will be passing an opportunity at the buck in question. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Having said that, I try never to make a judgment call for a guy re: should he harvest a particular deer. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My advice…………..<u>Dirt Nap!</u> /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Details Here!&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt; Join now and you are automatically entered into the 2008 Big Buck Contest!

11.jpg

Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I dont think you will find too many neighbors that wouldn't shoot that buck. He looks like a good one to me.. I would say mid 140's to 150 on the left and 125 to 130 on the right.</div></div>

The one on the left would have an arrow in him if he walked by me (hopefully) The smaller one would get a pass and hope to see him next year.

That's a mature buck on the left, his bridged snout gives him away. Its hard to tell from the angle but Id say he is at least 140s with 150s being probable. My concern would be just getting a shot at an old survivor like that, not whether or not to take him.

Its hard to control 70 acres and expect to grow big deer with neighbors like that. One thing for sure is both those deer have survived at least a couple shotgun seasons and once they are dead, they are dead. Goodluck!!!!

I can't add too much to what everyone has said...the one on the left would be a very tough pass - I'd let him have it personally. I shot a deer pretty similar to that 2 years ago that scored 135 as an 8 point with little brows...I'm guessing he'll go 140ish maybe?? Just a guess??? Can't tell without seeing a face-on view. The one on the right looks to be 2.5 years old...115" maybe?? Shot a couple of those my first 3 years of deer hunting when I was a kid! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Nice pic and thanks for sharing /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triplebeam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">shoot it for sure </div></div>

Shoot it!! If you can let him walk by you within shooting range you're a better man than I am.

The one on the right looks like he could be little brother or son. Good prospect for the future.

Top Bottom