Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

tough year?

ia_buck

anyone one else think it going to be a tough yr for late muzzle? i have been talk to some shotgun hunters and they said that they didnt see any... i hunt public...just wondering what u all think??

I have faith……………..We need some really cold weather.

I do know that I have talked with many shotgun hunters that are complaining about deer numbers here in SW Iowa. Very few mature does, many young basket rack bucks, and few mature buck sightings.

Right now all my eggs are in the basket for late muzzy. I am hopeing for some snow and freezing temps so the come to my corn and beans.

Same as above.. praying hard for some below 0 weather and a good snow cover.. But i have talked to some guys as well that complain of low deer numbers but then shoot at every damn doe they see.

The flooding had a lot to do with it here in SW IA. If you were hunting the bottoms (floodplain) you were likely skunked. Most of the deer along the river moved into the hills. They will move back but I think it will be slow going for awhile. It just hasnt been dry long enough yet.

This is evident in driving the old lincoln highway between Mo Valley and Council Bluffs. There are 5 different fields that I can literally count 40-75 deer on every night. 4 are cornfields and 1 is alphalpha but they are all nestled back in the hills. If you take I29 that same route you are lucky to see even 1 deer. The deer are out there just bunched up in the hills.

As long as we get some snow and cold....we should be fine. I'm picking up my late muzzy tag after my trip to the shooting range to verify zero on the rifle.

The flooding had a lot to do with it here in SW IA. If you were hunting the bottoms (floodplain) you were likely skunked. Most of the deer along the river moved into the hills. They will move back but I think it will be slow going for awhile. It just hasnt been dry long enough yet.

This is evident in driving the old lincoln highway between Mo Valley and Council Bluffs. There are 5 different fields that I can literally count 40-75 deer on every night. 4 are cornfields and 1 is alphalpha but they are all nestled back in the hills. If you take I29 that same route you are lucky to see even 1 deer. The deer are out there just bunched up in the hills.

Hmmm, I drive I29 from the Gwood exit to CB everyday. Since the flood I haven't seen a single Deer in that area. I have seen a nice sized dead Buck and a 'Yote got splattered yesterday.

Top Bottom