Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tractor help

Hodge

I currently have a little diesel Kubota with a 4 foot tiller for doing my food plots. My tractor isn't quite big enough tho because it always overheats every year. I just recently found a John Deere 830 for sale. This tractor is plenty big enough. Probably too big. The only question I have is about the rear pto. The guy that's selling it tells me that the pto rpms is whatever the tractor is running at. I.e. Upwards to 2000 rpms, which would kill my tiller. Secondly, the pto only engages when the tractor is off. Does it need a new clutch? Or is it something else. Once u engage it, then start the tractor it's good, shut off the pto and try to reengage it, it won't work, just grind. Thoughts?

First off its green so that's a problem!! Seriously though that an old tractor and it has an independent PTO. I am not a JD guy at all so I can't speak specifically bit our older international tractors are the same basic PTO and its hydraulic pressure that runs the PTO clutch. The pump inside is gear drive... But I don't see that grinding.

I don't know about a lot of this but few things I do.... U want more tractor than u need vs less. Tillers are hard on tractors. Sounds like u think it could be other way around with ur new big tractor - might wanna run it at lower rpm. But I would go with bigger tractor or u will screw up small stuff. Like i said- tillers are hard on stuff!! U could look at upgrading ur tiller as well. Machio for example makes a great tiller if u go heavier duty with slip clutches. U get what u pay for.
On tractor- that's messed up the tractor needs to be off to engage. Something is screwed up. Some deeres won't even start with pto engaged with the safety sensors. Something doesn't sound right to me.

I was thinking those were made around 1960? Or do they make a newer version? I know we have a Agric tiller and its a beast. Only heavier one I have seen personally is a Howard. I know our tiller has taken the PTO clutch out our older tractors a couple times. We don't even run it on them anymore. A 4' tiller on that tractor I would think wouldn't work all that great as it wouldn't cover your rear wheels.

get rid of the tiller and just use a 5'or 6' disk and drag. with your Kubota. May have to hit a couple times but a lot faster and can still grow good food plots. Ground doesn't need to be worked up like a garden and will have more residue on top which reduces erosion and helps to retain moisture better as well. My opinion FWIW. Best wishes with your plots.

Sounds like from all the reading I've done that the clutch needs to be freed or readjusted.
And yes they made a 2nd gen of 830s from 74-75 I think. So I think this one is a 75, as they didn't make them in 76. If I did buy this one, I'd obviously have to get rid of my 4 foot tiller as it would only cover from inside to inside of the tires, and go with a disc or something similar. The guy is wanting $4000 but has hinted he'd listen to offers.
Just don't know what to do. I'm not a farmer by any means, my Kubota now sits in my garage (have a 3 car garage) and this 830 is dam near twice the size of my Kubota. I need something bigger tho before I burn up my Kubota and then get stuck with a broke down tractor.

Have a good ag mechanic check it out for you and give you an estimate of what you're looking at as far as $$$ to fix, future problems, feasibility for what you want, etc... Kinda like buying a house, paying a few $$$ for an "inspection" might be the best money you could spend.

Adjusting them isn't usually very hard if you have the right guage. Assuming the plates aren't scorched. I agree with getting it checked out if you can, green is expensive to fix and I know with ours it can take a grand easy to pull and rebuild the clutch pack, and they are easy to pull. JD may be different.

If it were me, I'd run the other direction. I have purchased tractors in the past with "problems" and they are always worse than what the seller is willing to admit. The only exception is if the selling price plus the repair price is less than then the same tractor in perfect condition is worth.

I've had tractors in the past that took longer to get running on a given day than the task I wanted to acomplish took. Do yourself a favor and don't buy somebody else's problems.

Top Bottom