Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trading Hunts

blake

Life Member
Sometimes it nice to get away from the home area and do some hunting in a new place. Just wondering if anyone else viewing this site would be interested re: information for trading hunts? Perhaps we could list the info in the classifieds?

The boss says it's ok, well monitor though
smile.gif

Maybe if it's popular enough, a new conference could be added. Heck, we've got turkey, deer, sheds, classifieds . . . why not a hunt swap conference? Although, I'm kinda curious who would use it the most. Thoughts ?

Guess I'm not at all sure how to get this started. My interest are bow hunting, late season muzzleloader, spring turkey, and varmit Calling. I live in SW,Ia. not all that far from the Ms. border and have access to some very good hunting properties. Have permission to hunt a large amount of great property next to a state wildlife refuge to, have taken some great bucks near here. I also have access to some good hunting property in Adair and Adams County, Ia.

If anyone is from out of state and is interested in a trade hunt, I would really like to harvest a black bear or a wild boar.

I guess I'm not sure what you all are after. I can't see swapping an Iowa hunt for an Iowa hunt. Most people with the good spots won't give that up for anything less than they already have. If you are interested in swapping for another state or some other game, here is one site that is aleady established.

http://www.hunting.net/swap/displayresult.asp

That's a good idea blake. I might be interested in a trade or two. We better ok this with TLH before we start posting trade hunts in the classified.

What do you think Tony?

BT

I really couldn't see anyone in Iowa wanting to hunt whitetails anywhere else. I may could offer a spring turkey hunt or a hog hunt, but the quality of hunting is definitely better in Iowa. I can not see where the trade would be a fair one unless you really enjoy seeing different land/habit.

150 Class

I certainly understand not wanting to take another hunter to a favorite hotspot, and yes Iowa has some of the best whitetail huinting in the counrty. I was mainly interested in seeing some new ground, and meeting different people with the same interest. It's not that I don't have very good hunting in my area, I have access to somethi8ng like 1500+ acres of prime whitetail timber. I have hunted most of it for many years and harvested some really nice bucks. Want to thank you for the trade a hunt site, I'll check it out, maybe find something in there that is appealing to me.

Hey Blake,I would be interested in trading a hunt.i have access to about 5,000 acres here in south Ga. that is full of wild hogs and turkey.I have been wanting to get up to iowa for several years now and do some hunting,just didn't have a hook-up.I hope I can get some pointers and maybe some"inside " information on some land(public or private) from you guys.Looks like a great site you all have here!

I posted a while back looking to trade a bear hunt in Northern Minnesota for an Iowa Whitetail hunt now that I am living a long way from the nearest decent buck. I had several repsonses, and I will probably put one or two trips together next year. An update on the bear hunting is in order. The bear harvest was way off this year, in fact, the DNR extimated that there would be 4000 bears killed, but they dropped their estimate to 2000 after the first week, and I believe it was actually only about half that. My local locker normally does 70-75 bears a year, this year they did 9. Success rates were terrible. I ran as many as 14 baits and was doing better than most, but only had one bear actually come to the bait while the hunter (my wife) was there and she missed the bear from 15 yards. It was her first bear and the bear stood right under her ladder stand for quite a while before going to the bait, so I can understand why she was a little jittery. Many bear hunters who drew a tag didn't even go purchase the tag since they couldn't get their baits working. Anyway, Many factors have been blamed for the miserable baiting conditions, mostly the incredible bumper crop of blueberries, raspberries, chokecherries, acorns and blackberries.

The DNR will need to make some changes next year because the bear population is already stretching the limit and they will need to hammer them hard next year. I believe it is going to be a lot easier to get a permit next year. There is also talk that they will open a hound-hunting season, which I seriously doubt they could get through. I think they may extend the season at both ends to give deer hunters a chance to take one during the deer season, and to allow baiting to start before the berry crop hits. We'll see. It does look like it will be a great year for bear hunting in 2003, and hopefully I can show someone a great hunt in exchange for another chance at a good Iowa buck.

Iowa1,

Hello neighbor to the North. I would certainly be interested in trading a black bear hunt for an Iowa whitetail hunt. I would really like to harvest a black bear with a bow, pistol, or muzzleloader. I am positive that I could offer you a quality hunt for whitetails in the state of Iowa, IF and when you could manage to draw a non-resident tag. I hunt and live in zone 4, Southwest part of the state 10 miles from the Missouri border. I know there is a way on this site to email back and forth. I am willing to email some photos of whitetails that my son and I have harvest over the years if you would like to see them to assure you that I/we do know something about hunting whitetails. If you are at all interested in this trade please keep me posted on the bear prospects in the state of Minnesota. Keep in touch and thank you for your response.

Iowa1,

Guess I got too excited I thought you were from Mn. I would really be interested in any contacts that you feel were good up in Mn. for hunting black bear.

I am an Iowan living in Minnesota. After living and hunting in Iowa for 28 years of my life, that never really gets out of your system. November is the worst month for missing Iowa.

Top Bottom