Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Traditional style muzzle loader

J

jason

I was just wondering if you could shoot saboted bullets, and the new Power Belts out of a traditional style muzzle loader? Because my father has one, and it doesn't shot round ball very well!!!!!!! You could throw them more accurate than it could shot them.

Thanks

Jason V

well its pretty simple just like u shooting a sabbot slug through a shotgun with the wrong barrell and the muzzle loader is know different u just need to find the right bullet and powder for it

Try Thompson/Center 350grn Maxi-hunter conicals. They're pre-lubed and will probably shoot better out of slower twist barrel if it's 1:48 or even 1:32. They hit hard out to 100yds. You can try short sabots or Powerbelts, but the slower twist may not stabilize them. Conicals would probably be a better way to start. Just my experience.

Jason,

If your dad's frontloader won't shoot lead balls accurately then you have some other problems....... spend an afternoon at the range and experiment with load charges and different patch thickness with the round balls. Too many guys think that they have to shoot the largest powder charge recommended with their muzzleloaders..... this rarely leads to better accuracy, at least with round balls. I find that 65 - 75 grains of powder (by volume) give my 50 caliber the best accuracy..... also is the inside of the barrel in good condition ie not heavily pitted, etc. Run a dry white patch down the barrel a few times and see how it comes out....... Good luck ...... p.s. you should be able to shoot any projectile approved for use in blackpowder firearms.

Ditto to what Cornfed said. Could very well be the patch isn't thick enough to tightly engage the rifling. Or the rifling is so fouled it's like shooting a smooth bore and you're not getting spin to stablize the ball. If you're shooting heavy powder loads, excess powder contributes to fouling.

Conicals or miniballs might help too, but I'd give it a good scrubbing, back off the powder, and head out to the range. Wouldn't hurt to run a patch through between shots.

Good luck!

Threebeards

Seems like late muzzleloader will never get here. But hope the snow holds off until after second shotgun season. Keep 'em in the fields and out of the timber!!!

If this gun is a taditional muzzle loader it should have a barrel twist of 1:66 or 1:48, either of which should shoot a patched ball much better than a sabote. I would agree with cleaning the gun and check if the sights are solid. My Lyman rifles shoot 80 grains of powder or Pyrodex and round balls very well, but anything over 90 grains and everything goes sour. If you can't get to shoot beter have a smith check it out. Don't take chances.

Top Bottom