Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Traditional Success

nosna

This year I worked hard on the land to plant food plots and enhance habitat on the farm that I hunt. I planted nearly 3 acres of food plots and ran cameras since the beginning of spring turkey season. I knew I had some nice bucks running around the farm, and I set my sights on a few different bucks. Hunting with a recurve has been challenging. I missed a nice buck a few weeks ago, and soon after the summer patterns switched to nocturnal ones. This morning I had the day off and took a friend whom hadn't hunted with me for quite some time. We set out to hunt all day and see what happens. Around first light I had a doe start blowing upwind of me. I knew she couldn't smell me, but she took off right away. A few minutes later I saw this buck working from my right to left at about 75 yards. I couldn't make out his rack with the fog but I could tell he was a mature deer. He slowly fed away from me until he hit the four wheeler trail. He turned, and walked right towards me. The trail passes the stand at 5 yards. I couldn't believe this deer was coming straight in. He paused as he neared the stand, then continued walking. I quietly grunted, he stopped, and my two blade broadhead on a bamboo arrow hit its mark. I heard the "pop" of the lungs and saw the deer take off. He ran 40 yards, stopped for a few seconds, continued on another 30 or so before falling down within view of the stand. I waited 20 minutes or so and climbed down. There was good blood and I followed it right to him. A complete pass through. I have never had this deer on trail camera nor have I seen him hunting. Apparently he checked out the property on the wrong day. Not only is this my biggest deer taken to date, but my first buck with a traditional setup. I was truly fortunate today to have this Iowa Giant walk by. For those internet "police" the tag was affixed to his back when I took the first two pictures. I rough scored him out at 175.

Congratulations on an awesome trophy and kudos to for you for the extra effort with a recurve. I tried one for a couple years and even with a lot of practice the deer were not in much danger.

Doesn't look like there will be many deductions on this one. Super symmetry including the junk and stickers. Should score high.

Right on!!

I love foggy mornings for hunting. The deer just feel too comfortable it seems like. Probably lucky he walked by so close, eh!? Congrats!

I'd be willing to bet that's about as good a feeling as it gets for an archer. And for that deer to be the slob that he is, icing on the cake. Super congrats!! Definitely plan to try traditional myself at some point.

Top Bottom