Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tragedy In Arizona

AZHunter

Iowa Boy At Heart
Yesterday, southwest of Prescott, AZ, an entire wildland firefighting crew was over run by a fire after a crazy wind shift. 18 members of the crew died, one crew member survived, and one person from another crew died. It hits very close to home for me. My phone, FB, and email has been going crazy since last night, including from some beloved friends here. I'm having shoulder surgery next week to fix a small problem and avoid permanent damage. I made a conscious decision to have the surgery now, as opposed to down the road. In doing so, I gave up my fire season this year.

Sadly, those 19 men make up the largest loss of wildland firefighters in one incident. Not a good record to set. I'm guessing that most people will read the story and quickly go back to their Ipods/Ipads and never understand the depth of what happened on Yarnell Hill yesterday. Nobody will understand the fear in those men's minds as they were running for their lives, dropping 50+ lbs of gear to be able to move faster. Nobody will understand how quickly a wind shift can change the direction of a wildfire and how fast a wildfire can move under the right conditions. Nobody will fully comprehend that they breathed in 3000+ degree air and gasses before the flames hit, killing them quickly, before they could deploy their fire shelters that could have saved them. Instead, people will act as judge, jury, and executioner for a trial that is supposed to be fair, under the Constitution. Same for the guy who supposedly spilled information. Those people think their opinions and interpretation of the "facts" presented by whichever news agency are what is important. I, for one, could care less about a trial in Florida or a potential traitor somewhere else. Wildland firefighters are a strong brotherhood. You don't always like everyone on your crew, but when the stuff hits the fan, you put differences and personalities aside because each other is all you have to get through the day and get home again. I lost 19 brothers yesterday. 19 brothers that I would have gladly risked my life for so that they may hug their families one more time. I knew a couple of the guys on that crew and they were good men. Those 19 men exemplify what is right in this world.

If you have a moment, say a prayer for their souls and families.

Such a sad, sad story. As a piddly volunteer on a small township department I could not imagine the scale of difficulty a forest fire would entail. My heart goes out to the families of these brave men who put it all on the line whenever asked to do so. Prayers sent.

Tragic!!! Deepest sympathies & prayers for family & friends. We would all be wise to spend a while pondering the bravery and dedication of those who risk all to protect us no matter what the arena!

loss of life

I was stunned when I heard that last night, it's really a major loss, so sad to hear. No words can describe this.

Glad to see you post, as you were the first person I thought of when I heard the story.

Thoughts are with the families, both "traditional" and fire fighting.

I hadn't even heard about this yet. What a tragedy for sure. Glad you are okay. My heart breaks for those families left behind. I can't imagine.

Such a sad, sad story. As a piddly volunteer on a small township department I could not imagine the scale of difficulty a forest fire would entail. My heart goes out to the families of these brave men who put it all on the line whenever asked to do so. Prayers sent.

Skully: don't EVER call yourself a piddly volunteer on a small department. It was a volunteer department that was able to fight the fire when our house burned down 35 years ago after the local "professional" crew dropped the ball. I've always loved the paradigm shift between structure firefighters and wildland firefighters. We get called crazy by structure guys because we're out in a forest or other area with flames actively moving around us. We tend to think structure guys are crazy for running into a burning house that can collapse. It all evens out with bravery! Thank you for all you do!

Glad to see you post, as you were the first person I thought of when I heard the story.

Thanks, Randy, and everyone else. Its been an emotional day today. Tears and upset stomach come and go. I just learned that the crew had a chance to deploy their fire shelters, but, for whatever reason, they were in a no-win situation. I've only ever sat and thought about what it would be like to watch your fate unfold. My heart breaks even more now.

I remember a couple of years ago, I had just gotten back from a fire and left to go meet up with some family at my dad's army unit reunion. A Gold Star dad (lost his son in Afghanistan) pulled me aside and thanked me for all I do and for putting my life on the line. I think my mom told him I had just gotten had a couple of close calls before I flew out there. I was dumbfounded to be put in the same gratitude for service category with his son. I never thought of what I did as anything really special and certainly not on par with combat vets. I lost it and started crying right there.

When I heard the news I was also wondering on your well being. Thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.

These are my sentiments as well. It takes a very special individual to risk life and limb for their fellow man. My condolences to all the families involved and glad to here your ok AZ.

Same here thought of you and my cousin immediately (he was a Hot Shot in years past). My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone this tragedy touches we have lost some true American hero's .

Same here thought of you and my cousin immediately (he was a Hot Shot in years past). My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone this tragedy touches we have lost some true American hero's .

Thoughts and prayers to all the friends and families involved.

Glad you are okay AZHunter.

Sorry for your loss AZ. As sad as it is you are 100% correct on the fact that most people with skim read it and be on to the next thing without a feeling being touched...

I can't thank you all enough for the support, prayers, and words. All 19 were from the same crew, afterall. Ages 21-43. Most married with kids. The lone survivor apparently had to hike back to one of the crew rigs to get a piece of gear.

I also found out that two of my friends were the two guys who hiked in to rescue them after the flame front rolled over. They hiked in prepared for a rescue mission, not a recovery mission. Those two guys had worked with most of the men on that crew at one time in their careers on various crews and were very close friends to a few of them. They are not doing well right now, either. Thank you all again for the continued support and prayers!

Top Bottom