Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trail cam placement

rarndt16

Being its still early summer I havnt been able to find much for deer trail and travel patterns. Is there any ways to get tuned Into deer travel and in more specific buck travel. Lookin to set another cam on some heavy buck travel, just having trouble finding them.

Don't get to discouraged right now. Food sources and water are constantly changing. Later in the summer they will stick to a constant pattern until the food changes. Right now look at water and beans as food sources

I'm a novice at best, but I wouldn't worry too much right now if I were you.

#1. I would highly advise AGAINST going in to the deep thick stuff where you assume the big bucks are bedding because you're probably right, they are bedding there and your presence will just "bump" them out.

#2. As mentioned above, it's still early and without mineral attractant you're not likely to see much. Cheap mineral that will work, water softener pellets. $4 for 40lbs.

#3. Also mentioned above, concentrate on food sources...specifically beans. If you have a pocket of beans near your thick cover bedding area, set your cam along a trail (preferably facing away from the sun) that overlooks the field.

#4. Last week of August you can try "baiting" your cams with corn and or apples...you're more likely to see the bigger bucks passing by.

#5. DON"T get discouraged. For example. Last year I never had a decent buck on camera all summer. My first sit Oct 6th, I saw a buck I assumed was pushing 200"...Turns out I ended up getting some good trailcam pics of him during season. Neighbor ended up killing him and the buck grossed in the 190's. My point is this...even with a ton of cameras covering everything, it's still very likely you won't get everything on camera.

My best advice is don't get too caught up in cameras and burn your spots out before the season is even open. I leave my cameras in easy access areas that are natural funnels (like a pond dam, edge of crop field, etc) and I only check them every two to three weeks in the summer. Starting August 10th, I'll run them every two weeks...maybe less up until season starts. Then I reposition them for other purposes.

#6 Last and certainly not least...make sure you have fun with it. Even the fawns and Mama Does you get on cam can help paint a hunting picture for you.:way:

(and don't forget to share your pics)

Top Bottom