Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trail cam reccomendations

pete

One of my homebrews died on me last fall and Im thinking of replacing it. What is the best/most affordable trailcams out there now. I'm leaning toward Bushnell trophy camera but wanted to get some opinions.

Many people have been having nightmare experiences with the 2010 Bushnell Trophy cams. I've got four of the 2009's and they have been champs. You can sometimes find 2009's that have been refurbished.

Check out the Primos Truth Cam 35. Good quality pics, videos, and battery life. Search the web, no problem finding them on sale for $80. Come with a hole through the molded plastic so you can lock them up with a Python lock too. A lot of nice features for an $80 camera.

The new bushnells are supposed to come out in the next month or so. They say fully tested this time. Hope that's the case. I'm really curious to try the new Moultries M80 and M100. They look good too and the price should be arount 150 for the M80 and 170 for the M100 I believe.

Reconyx cameras are awesome. I've had all the other brands and got sick of dealing with problems and having to send them back. Also, the covert models (RC60 and HC600) don't have any visible light. You can literally put them right on a scrape and the bucks will never spook from them.

The drawback is that they are very expensive. I try to buy 1-2 a year. They are so reliable that they will last many years. I've got some that are 3 years old and they are as good as new.

I dont' know of anyone (myself included) that has bought a Reconyx and later bought a different camera. Once you have one, it's hard to settle for anything else.

Moultrie D55. I have two of them that have been out for 6 weeks now.. Awesome pictures and both still over 70% battery life. Check out my pic's and there are some I couldn't have sat there and took a better picture.. I have two of the IR's and will probably buy the regular flash camera next. IR is good, but not awesome and the range isn't all that great at night. You can get them on sale for under $100 and you can't go wrong..

Moultrie D55. I have two of them that have been out for 6 weeks now.. Awesome pictures and both still over 70% battery life. Check out my pic's and there are some I couldn't have sat there and took a better picture.. I have two of the IR's and will probably buy the regular flash camera next. IR is good, but not awesome and the range isn't all that great at night. You can get them on sale for under $100 and you can't go wrong..

What about Moultrie Game Spy D-55 5.0MP Flash? I'm planning on buying my first trail camera and this looks promissing. Would you go for the Flash or IR? Because I can find the IR for $114.99 and the Flash for $89.99 does it make that much of a difference? I mean IR vs Flash? I'd think flash would spook them and IR wouldn't. I'm leaning more toward the Flash. Thanks :D

Last edited:
Trail Cam Reccommendations

I don't have the D55 with flash yet.. I have two IR cams. Went IR to keep from people seeing a flash from the road. I am getting one of these next, but if you can get it for $89 I guarantee you won't be disappointed with the picture quality. Bass Pro had the IR on sale cheaper than the flash a while back so I bought those. The medium quality pic settings are just fine and I'd recommend getting the software upgrade to get the faster times between pics. I think 1 minute comes standard but there is a patch that will give you down to 15 seconds. Also the 3 shot burst setting is great. Wake up and trigger speed is really fast.

Both of my cams are still in the high 60% for battery life. I'm not really expecting to change them until early to mid summer now the way it's looking.

I ended up winning a 2009 Bushnell Trophy Cam new in box off e-bay last night for $137. Thanks for the help.

Sounds like a solid purchase Pete. I have one of those and although I have limited experience with cams, I am happy with my 09 Bushnell.

I have a Cabelas offer I got in the mail for Bushnell Trophy Cam for $137.99. Would you guys bother given the amount of negative recently? Thinking I will save my money.

Not all BTC 2009 models are created equal, If it only takes a 2 gig card it is the "good one" if it takes the 8 gig card it is one that needed the updated software. I have both and after I did the update, they are both working fine. Just thought you might want to check.

Jeremy

It said in the add on eBay takes only up to 2gb card. So I'm thinking I will be OK. I also worded two 2gb SD cards this morning, $12 for two shipped to my door.

I don't have the D55 with flash yet.. I have two IR cams. Went IR to keep from people seeing a flash from the road. I am getting one of these next, but if you can get it for $89 I guarantee you won't be disappointed with the picture quality. Bass Pro had the IR on sale cheaper than the flash a while back so I bought those. The medium quality pic settings are just fine and I'd recommend getting the software upgrade to get the faster times between pics. I think 1 minute comes standard but there is a patch that will give you down to 15 seconds. Also the 3 shot burst setting is great. Wake up and trigger speed is really fast.

Both of my cams are still in the high 60% for battery life. I'm not really expecting to change them until early to mid summer now the way it's looking.

Is the software upgrade free? Or do you have to pay like $15?
This is what I'm looking at right now...
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Moul...ame+Spy+D-55&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Last edited:
I found a Moultrie Game Spy D-55 IR Camera for $89.48 and the Moultrie Game Spy D-55 Flash Camera is $89.99 now should I get the IR?

Wildview EZ cam, $60 from Cabela's. I have 4 & have used them for the last 3 years. I think they have good trigger speed & battery life. The price is unbeatable, unless you get one of those $40 junkers from Wal-Mart. I imagine those are not great.

Top Bottom