Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

trail cam security

papajess

I have a couple trail cameras that I want to put up this year and was wondering what some of you guys do to secure them to a tree. I'm putting them on public ground so I want to be able to lock them to a tree. I was thinking a ratchet strap and then a chain but I was just seeing if any one else had any good ideas.

Weld yourself a really good security box. Or else buy one of the bear proof boxes (but those are kinda cheesy) and get the heaviest braided cable lock that you can find. I think walmart sells one that is about four foot long or 5 foot long and is 5/8 inch. Nothing is foolproof but I haven't had a problem with this setup so far. knock on wood. I'll try to get pics up later

I figured out the dimensions of my cameras, and welded 3 pieces of 3" channel together. Then cut some slits towards the bottom to run a 2" metal strap through. Welded an end on the strap and drilled a hole in the opposite. So you can put a padlock on. I went a step further and welded a small box to cover the padlock and welded that too the orginal frame. Finaly I drilled holes on the backside of the channel. That way I could use some long screws and mount the box too the tree. So once the box is on the tree all you do is slide your camera in and slide the 2" strap through the bottom and padlock it in. I do realize it's illegal too screw anything to trees on public land. But it will protect your investment of a camera. And is bolt cutter proof.

If someone wants it they'll get it no matter what. I just use python cable locks and hope for the best

Top Bottom