Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trail cam test

But Skip, what is your overall opinion of the Cuddeback cameras??
:D

I've got quite a collection of cameras, but any review I would post would be fairly worthless. Why? Because I usually wait until they drastically mark down the previous year's model, then buy a couple. I try to wait until the cams are around $100 on sale, marked down from around $180. I recently picked up 2 Covert MP8 blacks and 2 Moultrie M-990i's. The jury is still out on how well I like these cams, the Coverts seem awful touchy during warm weather, fill the cards with the slightest movement, had to turn down the sensitivity. Moutrie's haven't been in the field that long.

Bushnell trophy cams were my go to cameras, but it seems they can be flaky from year to year. The last group I bought all died within a 3 month period, almost like they were programmed to do it. Still have a couple of them from a different model year that work.

I have an old Covert assassin that is limping along, sometimes it gets the IR filter in place, sometimes it doesn't.

I have a very old ScoutGuard 550 that still works, bought two newer ones, 550V I think is the model. One works better than the other, though it might be a placement issue.

At $100/cam, I figure if I get a couple of years out of them, I can't complain.

Has anyone else seen the pictures that are starting to be posted from USA Trail cameras? The color and quality looks great.

I like doing my own tests cause even the stuff online and YouTube I ? Most of it. Why I did my own arrow tests and my results were a lot different than YouTube or secretly sponsored crap. I have Heard trailcam pro having "involvement" with reconyx to the level it's biased but I don't know if true. Just heard it a lot. I've got some great cams and had some Junkers. What tests don't show.... For example, every model Cuddebroke I had in past- tests don't get into crap customer service. Don't usually get into the silly battery life even while using the giant and expensive depth charge sized batteries. Doesn't usually test the fact of how many times u go to ur cam & it hadn't worked for weeks. The tests don't include owners that literally took their cuddebrokes and put them in the campfire or put a giant load of explosives (say like tannerite) under some to stop the mental trauma caused by these cameras. Lots of good cams out there now days. getting more & better each yr and Beyond a few picture test- those still buying cuddebrokes are like those with rotary phones at home & plow with donkeys (which I guess bad examples cause both those examples are actually functional but u get my point.). I'll admit- if I saw a semi truck of Cuddebrokes crashed and on fire- ok- I'd get the driver out (& convincing him he's better off morally driving semi's filled with cigarettes, liquor, illegal drug trafficking like methamphetamines, etc) but man would I be enjoying that fire with some marshmallows & maybe some more flammable liquids to keep er going. Lots of good ones. Of course I really hold back on my opinion of cuddebrokes and I think anyone sponsoring them needs a head check, automatic admittance to our friendly psych-ward of the state with forced electro-shock therapy and I borderline have more respect for a hooker selling what they sell vs cuddebrokes. ;). Sorry so timid in regards to a company & product that in my opinion is as poor as they come and only hold any market due to the $ they pay for sponsors which push them. Shameful in my experience and opinion. Too many other companies with better products that want to EARN your business. **this is my opinion and experience. :)

Can I please jump in here and edit your post to say "Cuddeback and Wildgame Innovations"?

Can I please jump in here and edit your post to say "Cuddeback and Wildgame Innovations"?
I lost a little respect for Lee when he signed with them for more $$, I understand it's business but man come on, use a product you actually believe in

Who doesn't love a $49 wildgame from Menards...? :) I actually have two and their only purpose is for locations with a high probability of getting stolen such as Public ground (had 3 last year....one stolen....case in point). They serve their purpose for that, but not much more. Decent daytime pics....nighttime.....forget about it.

Last edited:
Who doesn't love a $49 wildgame from Menards...? :) I actually have two and their only purpose is for locations with a high probability of getting stolen such as Public ground (had 3 last year....one stolen....case in point). They serve their purpose for that, but not much more. Decent daytime pics....nighttime.....forget about it.

You sir have hit the nail squarely on the head

Nothing will hold a candle to the Reconyx RC and HC's for overall performance. The 1 second trigger speed of the new camera is unacceptable period and the reason I haven't bought a new one yet. I'm not spending 600.00 to get blanks and rear end pictures. A Reconyx will not false trigger except in extremely rare occasions and quality of their prod it is unmatched from a service and experience standpoint on the old models.

It's the same theory when buying a vehicle. If you drive a new Tahoe, F150 King ranch, Denali etc then small amenities matter to you and you are willing to pay for that. That's a Reconyx buyer.

If you drive the average vehicle then you probably will be satisfied with something other than Reconyx.

I own Reconyx, bushnell, browning, Cuddeback and moultrie cameras. If I could afford all Reconyx I would have them. I can't tell you how much I cuss those cuddebacks and mainly moultries. The Brownings false trigger too much and the bushnells are a good overall buy.

Ha ha. Having little fun with my overly dramatic post on cuddebrokes. ;). Many of my buddies run them and in good fun I try and get them to switch. Usually we get a group of family & friends together to surprise them with an "intervention". :). Just having fun with my over the top opinion on those cams. I guess it isn't a sin to use them but I think it should be. ;)
I honestly can't wait til technology is close to perfected on cell cams. Getting better every year. Really a big help for more than hunting- theft, trespassing, not tromping in an area to check cams, etc

Ha ha. Having little fun with my overly dramatic post on cuddebrokes. ;). Many of my buddies run them and in good fun I try and get them to switch. Usually we get a group of family & friends together to surprise them with an "intervention". :). Just having fun with my over the top opinion on those cams. I guess it isn't a sin to use them but I think it should be. ;) I honestly can't wait til technology is close to perfected on cell cams. Getting better every year. Really a big help for more than hunting- theft, trespassing, not tromping in an area to check cams, etc
best thing ever was your intervention on me......once you go Covert, you never g back

Nothing will hold a candle to the Reconyx RC and HC's for overall performance. The 1 second trigger speed of the new camera is unacceptable period and the reason I haven't bought a new one yet. I'm not spending 600.00 to get blanks and rear end pictures. Why would the best camera company around go backwards and create a camera with a longer trigger speed? Insert sarcasm!! For $600 I can have 7 covert mp8s that have under 1 sec trigger speed and cover a lot more ground then that 1 Reconyx. A false picture now and then is not the end of the world or unexpected from a $100 camera!!

I think I am going to vomit. Has this turned into a Covert sponsored site? I had a terrible run with Cuddeback after the c3000 but warranty fixes were never an issue. This was my last shot at them with the e2 and with a 2 yr warranty and under 150$ I have been very happy. I hate slow trigger cams. I hate blank pics. Covert, moultrie, stealth cam, wildgame, have even had a Leaf River, all junk. Covert ranks below moultrie on trailcam pro and on the bottom 1/4 of the list. Not that it is the bible but the reviews on there haven't steered me wrong yet. I don't care why they rank reconyx number 1, because hands down they have been the best in the business for a while now. Just like stands I would rather have a few good ones than a bunch of cheap ones that might kill me.

Gary R has been doing these tests for a long time- he definitely has an addiction to trail cameras in general. I would certainly trust his findings. Guy has more cameras than fleet farm and scheels combined (maybe overstatement but probably close to being accurate:) )

I'm far from a trail cam expert. I've run maybe 15 different brands/models over the years. I think around 5 models of Cuddebrokes and all 5 gave me non-stop problems, that's why I finally destroyed those cameras - especially after dealing with their customer service & getting ticked off at checking a cam sitting for a month finding out they constantly never worked. Just lost it with that brand and changed while watching my friends get pissed off at their cuddebrokes and change one by one.

Tried many other models - in the end with other models - everything I use now, all of them blow away the cuddebroke battery life, reliability, ease, quality, CUSTOMER SERVICE, etc, etc, etc. With all cameras though, I have not found one YET that doesn't have some issue I don't like or have a problem eventually. I buy 5 of "XYZ" cameras - I can count on 1 going bad in the year, doesn't matter the brand. Or maybe I have a good company & model but that Lot produced had some issue. I for sure plan on sending some cameras back each year & count on a certain % having issue. Why I have some extra cams around. It sure is nice when I do have an issue, getting a new or refurb cam in the mail quickly with no hassle. That's been the case with several companies. Each year that goes by, I'm sure cams are gonna make great advancements and if there's major issues with XYZ camera company, so many other good options now.

I am coming out with my own line to compete specifically with Cuddebrokes - remember the disposable 36mm (or whatever) cameras of about 15 years ago??? You could even get the water proof ones???..... Well, I'm bringing those back - you glue them to the tree with a caulk gun... A string goes over the deer trail & when the string is tripped - branch falls on the trigger to snap a picture of what walked by. We are expecting to take 70% of Cuddebroke's market share with this huge advancement over their cameras. Any warranty problems or questions - you will get a complimentary stick & string mailed to you within 6 months. Game changer!

Last edited:
haha.... this thread has made for an enjoyable "work" day.

For anyone with a cuddeback..... CHECK YOUR FIRMWARE. I had 6 Attack IR's as of last year before 2 of them were flooded last summer when the creek came up 15'+. All 6 worked perfect. The 4 that didn't flood all work perfect. (This was not the case before the firmware update). These cameras are going on 4 or 5 years. The D batteries kinda suck....get about 6 weeks out of them.

Bought an ambush years ago. Worst camera ever. I won a different ambush at an event.... it was free..... broke quickly.... sent back....got an E2 (free). I ran that all last year and is out now.... no issues. Time will tell on longevity on that one, but so far super happy.

It's been years since I actually paid for a new cudde. I will certainly run the ones I have until they die and reevaluate.

I have never understood why the "real" camera makers have not jumped in (Cannon, Pentax, Nikon, etc)

I am coming out with my own line to compete specifically with Cuddebrokes - remember the disposable 36mm (or whatever) cameras of about 15 years ago??? ....

35, 36, whatever it takes. :D (Note - one must have watched the Mr. Mom movie from 20 years ago to get the humor there...or attempted humor. :D)

From my experience on trail cams though...at this time I buy Covert's and have the best overall success with them over time. Unless the game has changed since I was sort of close to the overseas hunting products sourcing model...it was common for various brands of cameras to switch manufacturing locations(factories) overseas from year to year. It was not uncommon to see various "new" issues pop up when these changes were made AND the brand name on the camera didn't necessarily change.

So, you could theoretically get "good" Brand X, Model Y cams one year and very poor quality the next year, etc, for reasons that you would never know about. (IE. the source factory was changed from one year to the next to get them made $0.10 cheaper, etc.) Note, this isn't even taking into account model # changes within a brand.

So from my point of view...as long as the manufacturing process is a "whore's market", it will be hard to say for sure which brand is best, because it is always changing. The stateside support organization is probably a better differentiator to me than any given make/model of camera.

Good conversation though...sounds like "your results may vary". :D

Top Bottom