Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trail camera battery use

M

martyw

Is anyone using the StealthCam 1.3 digital camera. My partner and I are going through $16 in lithium batteries every 10-14 days. Sometimes we'll have 250 pictures (3 pictures at a time with a 1 minute snooze) other times we'll only get 50 pictures (2 pictures at a time with a 10 minute snooze). Regardless of settings, 14 days is about the max life. Have tried rechargeable NiCad's, but with worse luck. Anyone ever use the solar panel recharger? Any suggestions would be great.

Go buy the best rechargeables you can with the highest output available, that'll save you money, plus they also last longer between charges. make sure to buy 12 so you will always have a spare set on the charger to replace the old ones when you go to check the cam. If that doesnt work find a way to wire a car battery to the darn thing, they're battery hogs for sure.

My opinion of the steath cams from users on this forum, a trail cam forum, and friends that have used them....they are battery hogs as you described above. I doubt there is much you can do to get around it in hopes of saving costs associated with excessive battery consumption. Vman can build you a camera unit that runs 7-9 months on one 9volt for the board and anywhere from 150-300 pictures on two rechargeable AA batteries that run the camera. PM him if interested and eBay the one you have.

Bought one of he Stealth digitals from BP. Tried for a month to get the camera to work properly. Respond time was about 4-5 seconds so I got mainly butts and legs when the thing would finally trigger. Set it up a number of times in my backyard corn pile, tested the range, etc. then watch deer after deer walk by it and no pictures. Also ate batteries for lunch!
Finally returned it to BP for a refund.
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

I had a 1.3 as well. took it back for the same reasons battery eaters!!! I tried the expensive rechargables and they lastewd one day only... regular Duracell ultras lasted longer, like 6 days on a clover field.. The problem with the Stealth is it is way to sensitive, it senses deer way out of flash range and even in thick grass!.. I took it back and bought a CuddeBack,,,, now I went from one extreme to another.... These cams are so non -sensitive I have 9 deer pics since Sept 2!!! The only way I can scout food plots and fields is to program it in the timelapse mode where the cuddeback takes pics ever hour on the hour all day. I have seen some value in this feature for food plot scouting the entire field... But right now.. I am really interested in a V-cam.... I have read so much good about them here and want to know more.. Do the V-cams have anything close to the problems I have described above?????

I was really expecting more out of these 2 digitals then that...My film cams are still taking more deer pics daily then the Cudde back.. One time I even put a film Cam on the same tree and out pic'ed the Cudde Back...

Help us Out V-man.

Gritty

Top Bottom