Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

trail cams on scrapes???

buckfever57

bowhunt or die
Since Tuesday I have found 4 new scrapes on my way to my treestand. One is bout 3 ft wide and this is 30 yds from my stand. I am wanting to put a trail can on the scrape and was wondering how u guys do it. I am thinking bout putting it on the base of the tree... it is a black flash moultrie can so shouldn't scare them.... and I have also thought bout using the tinks scrape dripper. What are ur guys thought on wht I should do and if I should use scents or leave it natural. Thanks for the help!

Just put it anywhere so it will capture the deer at the scrape. Base of a tree, up in a tree angled down, or deer height. I don't add drippers or anything. Flash or no flash shouldn't really bother the deer either way. We run both on scrapes.

I use scrape drippers a lot, always draws their curiosity but they rarely take it over. I have hung cams on scrapes before with little results. I've had better luck making a mock scrape 30 or so yards away. Most bucks will come and smell it (enough to get pics) and then leave. I have had a lot better luck with magnum scrape drippers than tinks drippers or any other brand. I have a post in the trail cam section titled mock rub/scrape activity if you want to check out some of the results I've had.

Cameras don't scare deer!!! Yes there might be a spooked deer from time to time but not in general. I run flash cameras on scrapes all the time with no problems.

I am about to move at least 50% of my cameras to scrapes. Get more good buck pics on Oct. scrapes than any other locations. Keep a few on video mode, fun to watch. Field perimeter of food plot, with big twisted off branches are great locations....I have zip tied tarsals that I keep frozen or get from a butcher to the overhead branch and they really seem to like it. Doesn't seem to matter that the tarsal sent is at eye level .....I believe they are just very curious animals.....I also use pruners to cut side branches they may be working on the same tree to focus them on the limb monitored by the camera ...good luck...(ps...take a leak in the scrape, that also works)

Cameras on food plots and scrapes don't seem to bother the deer much from my experience. If you pop one up in the timber directly on a trail, that seems to be a different story. I have watched them go around them. Just my experience...

Top Bottom