Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Transition Year

turtlshell

PMA Member
On May 10th I hand seeded all 7 of the tillable acres on my dad's farm.

Last year was a very unproductive crop and food plot year for us. The farmer we contracted most of the land to didn't get the beans in until very very late, then it went dry. They yielded next to nothing. My dad tried planting three acres of food plots, but had the seed drill setup all wrong and ended up drilling in a full bag of Rooster Booster on a little over an acre. The Big and Beasty I tried planting got scorched because of the drought. It all sucked.

SO this year, I vowed that things would be different. First step was telling the farmer down the road that we were farming the whole place this year. Second step was mapping the plot-plan for the place. Third step was obtaining the seed, thanks to PF it was quick and easy. Then it was on to chopping down the Rooster Booster afro my dad planted. It bogged down the brush hog several times. After letting that thatch sit for a few days it was time to disc. Dad took care of that quicker than anticipated...since he had completed his part of the deal, and the weather was favorable I lit out at 4am on May 10th...

I didn't have access to any equipment so hand-seeding "broad-castable" seeds was the only mechanism available. I started stomping and turning around 5am. By 10:30am I had completed my task. According my pedometer I had taken around 25,000 steps (roughly 10miles). I had checker-boarded all fields several times.

So, the mapping plan was to establish something large (tall & dense) along the perimeter next to the road as a quasi-poacher abatement tool. For that (and budget) I selected the PF Dove Kandy Sunflowers mix. Interior of that, due to its vigor and botched planting from last year, I went with the Rooster Booster. I did "decorate" the interior edge of the largest field with a PF Prairie Mix heavy on forbes (approx $150/acre).

I didn't really snap any prep, or before pics, but I'm planning to snag a few pics through the year as it grows. I do plan to mow down some of the extreme interior rooster booster areas in about a month. I'll hand-seed the half bag of Big and Beasty I have left from last year in those areas.

Oh, and I refreshed my salt lick with a $3.88 bag of Morton Water Softner Pellets.

So for less than $300, that's our 7-acre 2014 plot plan.

... Then it was on to chopping down the Rooster Booster afro my dad planted. It bogged down the brush hog several times. After letting that thatch sit for a few days it was time to disc. Dad took care of that quicker than anticipated...since he had completed his part of the deal, and the weather was favorable I lit out at 4am on May 10th...

Love it! That sounds like some of my "early years" food plotting activities. I hope your plots grow well, with the hard work you put in, you deserve it. Anyone that stomps their seed in by foot has my vote for food plotter of the year!

One suggestion for "next time" though...I am not sure what "Rooster Booster" consists of, but I assume it has milo or sorghum as a base. I had some still fairly thick milo plots left over this spring from last years plantings to deal with and the best way I found, assuming lack of access to "heavy" equipment like a good sized disk or tiller, was to burn it off.

You want a GOOD fire break, but the dry, standing milo burned off pretty clean and voila...there was a nice, clean baby butt smooth seed bed ready to roll for this year. I suppose I forfeited some soil building mulch from last years stalks, but it took very little time to burn that off v. the tough mowing process that it sounds like you had to do.

Rooster Booster has milo, corn, sorghum, millet and something else. Last year we had borrowed a native seed drill from the local county conservation. The drill was set wrong, and the mix itself is not really "drill friendly" in my opinion. Regardless, all the smaller seeds escaped rapidly.

Dad had intentions of burning off the afro, but was too scared with the severely dry conditions. I wasn't readily available to help due to work and an expecting wife, so some of the finer things that required more elbow grease and more risk were allowed to pass this year.

I can hardly wait to see the plots. When I get a chance to see them, I'll snap some pictures.

Love it! That sounds like some of my "early years" food plotting activities

I second this alot of time and steps with a hand seeder in the beginning. Hope your hard work pays off I know you will enjoy it.

I second this alot of time and steps with a hand seeder in the beginning. Hope your hard work pays off I know you will enjoy it.

You are not a food plotter till you have road a harrow behind a 4 wheeler. At times I'm lucky to be alive I think.

I started with a rake in the middle of the woods when I was 15 thinking I could broadcast sugar beets and they would do great in the open spots where sun go through. Pretty funny and I don't think 15 year olds of today do things that stupid when it comes to plots thanks to all the info out there now.
Done the 4 wheeler, weed wacker, lawn mower, hand sprayer, etc. Good times!!!!

Here's the farm and detail of plot plan.

>

You are not a food plotter till you have road a harrow behind a 4 wheeler. At times I'm lucky to be alive I think.

That reminds me...years ago, way before I knew what a food plot was...

A friend of mine lived outside of town on a farm that his grandparents owned and used to farm. My friend, and his brother and sisters, couldn't spell "farm" if you spotted them the "f" and the "m", but they wanted to plant a garden on grandpa's farm. Sooooo, we found an implement out in the weeds that looked good to us, it was an old harrow.

No tractor = no problem for a bunch of dumb, young kids...we used his mom's Subaru wagon! :D Who needs John Deere green, we had Subaru orange! We raised the hatch and tied the harrow to the rear seat with a rope and away we went! The rope lasted all of about 15 seconds, but lucky for us, it seems that ol' grandpa had left an old logging chain in one of the outbuildings. Perfect! We were back in business! :D

One dummy was driving, one dummy was, for what reason I cannot recall now, in the open hatchback area of the station wagon with the chain sweeping back and forth at this feet, and one dummy was sitting on the harrow, so as to add weight to it so it would dig in better. :D I was at least smart enough not to be the dummy sitting on the harrow! :D

Besides dislodging the rear seat of the Subaru, we did not accomplish much more than scraping the leaves and top layer of grass off of the garden, but it was a memory! :D

update

One field looks great, one looks okay, and one got decimated by turkeys.

A word of caution...the Pheasants Forever "Rooster Booster" blend (at least the bag I got last year and the one I got this year) is extremely heavy on millet and contains foxtail ("millet"). I'm not a fan and will not be planting this mix from them ever again.

Regardless. The one acre field to the west was completely destroyed...not a single Sunflower grew. My only guess is that once they sprouted the local turkey flock found them and ate every single one of them...probably only took them a couple days to destroy it. I guess I can't be too upset, it IS a food-plot and certainly fullfilled that purpose :)

I went ahead and knocked down the grasses (mowed) in that field and plowed up a strip along the west end of the field and along the road. I broadcast some Mossy-Oak "Blind-spot" (sorghum) in there this weekend. We got around 2.5" rain on it and as long as we don't get an early frost, I should be ok on the remaining grow season. 100day maturity would afford me October 20th +/- 1 week.

The top of the middle field was hampered by the same fate. It was knocked down (mowed & disced) and I put a heavy load of some old leftover corn in there. Three-quarters of a full bag broadcast on about a quarter acre. Time will tell with that one as well. For this particular field and location I'm not interested in the corn putting on ears and seed, just want it to stand-up and provide cover.

The sunflowers on the top of the field on the corner came in amazingly well. They're thick and tall, and should help curb the poaching problem. In another week or two I'll be able to take some good pics of their radiance....they were all "heading-out" this past weekend. I'm pretty impressed with them thus far. Also, as was stated earlier or in another post regarding sunflowers. The deer are feeding on them quite a bit and they are bedding in them, too.

In another week or two, dependent upon weather, I'll have the bottom half of the middle field knocked down and planted to brassicas...along with the southern half of the west field that was planted to sorghum this weekend.

Yep. Good work.
We have all been there. Start acquiring equipment 1 piece at a time as you can afford it.Im sure you will look back 1 day and have a good laugh. I know I do. I'm glad to know I'm not the only 1 willing to plant some sweat along with seeds! Let's hope for some rain this late summer!

Yep. Good work.
We have all been there. Start acquiring equipment 1 piece at a time as you can afford it.Im sure you will look back 1 day and have a good laugh. I know I do. I'm glad to know I'm not the only 1 willing to plant some sweat along with seeds! Let's hope for some rain this late summer!

amen to all that...equipment is the plan, but a 2.5yr old and a 9week old are stealing all of this dad's extra cash and attention right now.

Just a matter of being patient and staying committed to the prioritization list.:way:

update

July 1st
6663-_946469.jpg

July 24th
6663-plot_7-24-14.jpg

The portion that didn't grow/got consumed by turkeys, which was replanted to sorghum and/or corn is about 10inches...hoping for some rain. Those replanted portions aren't for food, just to serve as a bit of a screen to abate road-huntin-poachers.

The radish and turnips need another drink. Will provide more "progress" pics in a couple weeks.

Top Bottom