Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Transplanted a chestnut out yesterday

JNRBRONC

Due to the warm weather, thought it was a good time to dig up a 3 year old chestnut from the garden and get it out. Used the bucket of the tractor to dig it out, lost a little bit of the tandem tap root, but hopefully it will recover. Need to water it frequently to have a better chance of survival. I think I'm done with the "nursery approach" as it seems I miss the optimal size when transplanting out.

Is year 3 a good year to do that? I started some this year and was hoping to just go outside and tubes here in a couple weeks?

Is year 3 a good year to do that? I started some this year and was hoping to just go outside and tubes here in a couple weeks?
NO! IMO 3 is too old. I got a cattle protein tub with a bunch of yearlings (chestnut and chinquapins) that I'm going to get out soon. Much easier to plant them at that stage. Should have higher success rate, too.

NO! IMO 3 is too old. I got a cattle protein tub with a bunch of yearlings (chestnut and chinquapins) that I'm going to get out soon. Much easier to plant them at that stage. Should have higher success rate, too.
Do you leave the trees growing in protein tubs out all winter? Also do you drill drainage holes in the tubs. Also what kind of soil you are using. Interested in your setup because I have access to a bunch of protein tubs.

Do you leave the trees growing in protein tubs out all winter? Also do you drill drainage holes in the tubs. Also what kind of soil you are using. Interested in your setup because I have access to a bunch of protein tubs.
Buried the tub flush in the garden, filled with garden soil. Put the nuts in, topped off with more dirt, weighed down chicken wire over it. I did drill a drain hole in the bottom of the tub. I went this way as I've had a few potted trees freeze dry over the winter if not put in the dirt. I plan to soak it heavily, loaded it in the bucket of the tractor and head out to plant. Muddy roots shouldn't dry too quickly as I plant.

I potted acorns in mineral tubs this winter and left them sitting outside exposed to weather. You guys have me worried now that they won’t make it…

Top Bottom