Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Transplanting Cedars

medicsnoke

I dont have any cedars on my new farm but love the way they look. A local farmer has some in his pastures and said I could have them if I fill in the ruts after removing them. They range in size from one foot to prob 6 footers. I have a backhoe and plan on using it to dig them out......Do you think they will live after a transplant and when would be the best time to do it?

Not sure what kind u have, but I had some eastern reds (ditch cedars) on a acreage, mowed um over, ran um over, they still come back strong. Kinda Like um for cover now

I did this many years ago. It worked really well. My transfer was from across the road in the ditch to my ground 50 yards away. I had them transferred within about 20 minutes max. Problems I had- I did em with a shovel and it took me a long time. With equipment??? Geesh, likely a lot faster. I remember the roots being pretty deep- even on smaller trees. That was maybe 8-10 years ago?? I do remember looking at them about 4-5 years ago and they had grown a lot and much taller. Since I have larger jobs, I buy tons of trees in bulk but I don't see why it wouldn't work just fine if you're willing to take the time.

I too have noticed TONS of them around in our pasture. Ranging in size from 4" to 2ft. I think for now we're going to stick with getting them as bareroot seedlings for $0.25 from the IA State Nursery... of course that doesn't work this year and possibly next year since they aren't offering them... so we may revert back to this method of planting cedars as well. Works great as others have said!

Top Bottom