Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Transporting Fans?

DOR

Life Member
What are you guys using for transporting your Fans for Pretty Boy?

I have been using a dryed out real fan and seem to destroy at least one per year.

I came across this thing Turkey Fan Idea from primos and wandered if anyone was using it and how it worked out? Looks like it would allow you to put individual feathers into the holder and then would fold down nicely?

DOR,

I've got a B-mobile and that's the fan holder that comes with it. You take an individual feather and put it in the holder. Then I took and hot glued some other feathers on top. Works pretty good, I can't quite fold it up into the 4 sections but can fold it in half.

The thing that makes it a bit of a pain, is that you have to use a bolt, 2 washwers and a wing-nut to attach it to B-mobile. I usually leave them through the hole in the decoy, and then unscrew it an attach the fan when getting set up. It's a little hard to fuss with in the dark, but you just have to take your time.

I can get some pics of mine if you would like to see it.

Sorry it took so long to get some pics. They don't really show how the feathers go in the holder, so don't know if its a help or not, but you may get the idea. Also, I can only fold up the 2 outer pieces and not fold over the center one, too many dang feathers I glued on there. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif First time using this, so it's a little bit of an experiment.

DSC02251.JPG

DSC02254.JPG

Thanks, thats what I thought. With pretty boy I would think you could just insert it into the slot. I could be wrong, but that is the way it appears to me. No bolts would be required.

If it works out it would be a lot easier for me to get feathers vs. full fans.

Being able to fold it up vs dragging a whole fan would be nice as well and be much easier to transport. Just stuff it into pretty boys guts.

I just stuff the fan into my decoy bag, I'm not concerned how my fan looks on the deek. The more ragged the more he looks like he gets his ass kicked all the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just stuff the fan into my decoy bag, I'm not concerned how my fan looks on the deek. The more ragged the more he looks like he gets his ass kicked all the time. </div></div>

I hope you're right cause that's the same method I use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Full Quiver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DOR,

I've got a B-mobile and that's the fan holder that comes with it. You take an individual feather and put it in the holder. Then I took and hot glued some other feathers on top. Works pretty good, I can't quite fold it up into the 4 sections but can fold it in half.

The thing that makes it a bit of a pain, is that you have to use a bolt, 2 washwers and a wing-nut to attach it to B-mobile. I usually leave them through the hole in the decoy, and then unscrew it an attach the fan when getting set up. It's a little hard to fuss with in the dark, but you just have to take your time.

I can get some pics of mine if you would like to see it.

</div></div>

Full Quiver,
If you get time please post some pictures.
Thank You

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just stuff the fan into my decoy bag, I'm not concerned how my fan looks on the deek. The more ragged the more he looks like he gets his ass kicked all the time. </div></div>

I hope you're right cause that's the same method I use. </div></div>

3 gobs loved my uncared for tail fan this year. I like the fan holder but fans are easy to come by if I need to replace a worn out one every few years.

I use two flat sides off of a cardboard box. Tape em together like a folder and slide it it. Used the same fan now for three years and it works well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GOLD TIP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use two flat sides off of a cardboard box. Tape em together like a folder and slide it it. Used the same fan now for three years and it works well. </div></div>

Thats what we tried last year...it was OK, but I guess my brother and I are just a little harder on gear than most. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Plus that technique made a cumbersome transport of the PB even more so.

you kill plenty of birds, just throw the fan into the bag and deal with it. if you have to replace it every few years so be it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

less worry makes the hunt more fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GOLD TIP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use two flat sides off of a cardboard box. Tape em together like a folder and slide it it. Used the same fan now for three years and it works well. </div></div>

+1

DOR,

I use a real fan. It's a couple of years old. I cut it in half vertically. Most fans have about 18 feathers, so I just went over about 9 (just in the center) and cut the dried meat area at the bottom. I fold it in half and transport it in a plastic bag inside a turkey vest in the back cargo area. I put pretty boy on top of that, and my Dave Smith hen inside of him.

Works real well. I cuts the overall physical size in half. In fact, I can manipulate the thing with one side slightly higher than the other to give it a "jakelike" look if I think that's what I need to get 2 year olds to come in.

MO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MO-Antlertips</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DOR,

I use a real fan. It's a couple of years old. I cut it in half vertically. Most fans have about 18 feathers, so I just went over about 9 (just in the center) and cut the dried meat area at the bottom. I fold it in half and transport it in a plastic bag inside a turkey vest in the back cargo area. I put pretty boy on top of that, and my Dave Smith hen inside of him.

Works real well. I cuts the overall physical size in half. In fact, I can manipulate the thing with one side slightly higher than the other to give it a "jakelike" look if I think that's what I need to get 2 year olds to come in.

MO

</div></div>

Now thats the kind of ideas I'm talking about. Well done! Muddy you will have to work on your creativity a bit if you ever plan on getting out of the house to hunt once the wee-one is born.

I guess I'm just not going to be hunting very much then DOR. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I only transport the fan in the decoy bag to and from the truck mainly. By adjusting it nicely in the bag it rides fairly decent. Other than that it's tucked safely behind the seat during season and up behind a deer rack in the garage during off season. Don't let me fool ya, my tail fans are loved and adored, with the ocassional fit of tough love during transport. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I do like the B-Mobil carrier, I've thought about getting one simply based on the 4 way folding ability.

They do make a nice camo carrying case! But it will cost you $40. I have one and it works great! I even think Muddy was jealous when he seen it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

You get 40 bucks outta Muddy then you have definitely done something! Could even put the pic of him spending it in the trophy harvest section! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GOLD TIP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You get 40 bucks outta Muddy then you have definitely done something! Could even put the pic of him spending it in the trophy harvest section! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

I keep hearing that!

Whatever Mud.... you destroy your fan, mine will be all combed and pretty! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

DOR,
i use a Turkey Tail Saver. Very cool case and it fits in my pretty boy carrying bag just fine!

here is their web site, id highly recommend one!
Turkey Tail Saver

Here are some pix i took this spring of it! i love it!!!
Tail_saver_1_2_.jpg
Tail_saver_2_2_.jpg
Tail_Saver_3.jpg

Top Bottom