Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trappers affect deer movement? I think not...

letemgrow

PMA Member
Have been letting a buddy of mine trap since right after rifle season. He checks the traps in the mornings and only traps on the property line and field edges. Walks this field every morning and has taken several coons/skunks here too.

Last night, another friend of mine sat up on the hill and video'd 19 deer, 13 were bucks come out to the plot starting at 3 pm. I'd say the morning "trapper" has had little effect on deer movement and the deer still feel safe. They mainly come out of that timber right behind them to the field so escaping is just a couple hops away.

Ill definitely have some trappers in there later this year and next year too after some coyotes/bobcats. Hopefully I can upload the video he took, but here is a cell phone pic for now. One possible shooter, 3 great young deer and the rest were babies...

I agree. In Iowa I permit my resident neighbor to trap my farm. It doesn't affect deer movement or our success rate on mature deer at all. The deer get used to the routine just as they would adjust to a farmer.

I allowed it on my big farm- the owner before didnt let anyone trap EVER. I mapped out where he could trap so he didnt bump any deer. Trapped a lot by ponds & about 200 yards in from road. He caught more giant coons than anything I ever seen. Possum & skunk. I let him do it cause I like sharing, he's a nice guy but also to help the birds. Didnt hurt a thing either
R u sure u didnt poke across the border to Iowa to get that many bucks in a field?!?!? :)

Coming from a trapper thank you. Can't say how many times been yelled at for spooking hunters deer. Never tell them that I when see nice bucks watch me check traps and not spook

Coming from a trapper thank you. Can't say how many times been yelled at for spooking hunters deer. Never tell them that I when see nice bucks watch me check traps and not spook

Let's more people enjoy the outdoors and is good for the land to remove some predators every year. More will move in next year for the trapper since no trapping happens on any farms around mine.

I disagree. I had this exact thing happen to me this year. Perfect bottle neck in big timber that has been an awesome spot for YEARS, turned into a ghost town. Couldn't figure it out until the trapper showed up and it all made sense. I do agree with the need for trapping and have nothing against trappers, but in certain situations like mine (small bottlenecks) it can ruin the spot, and it did.

Might be wrong but I don't see how we can ruin a spot. Deer get used to our patterns. I will grant that maybe they might start showing up later or at different times to avoid a trapper.

Don't want to sound argumentative, but it is the exact same concept as burning up a stand...best time to hunt a stand is when u hang it. You cannot hunt a stand everyday and not expect to alter deer movement. I'm not saying they will completely avoid the area, but they will alter their movement and when u r hunting big timber sometimes this can completely ruin a natural bottleneck.. I have hunted this spot in ne Iowa for years and it was by far my hone hole.....not now, and nothing else has changed.

The trappers on our neighbors definitely alter movement. They come riding through at various times of day with the radio blaring, slamming truck doors, yelling at each other from.a 100 yards away or so and shooting a 22 at whatever they catch. You can still catch deer at times when they are not there though. Just have to get lucky.

There are clearly ways to accomodate trapping and not negatively impact good deer hunting, BUT IMO it is also true that any human presence in certain areas can negatively impact natural deer movement.

On my own place, I trap the perimeter of my property and also areas that the deer do not frequent. I don't feel as though I hurt the deer hunting one bit. However, if I made a couple of dirt holes right in the middle of a prime bedding area I am sure that would hurt things.

Trapping need not be the end of good deer hunting on a property, but hopefully the trapper(s) and the hunter(s) can work around each other and cooperate.

There are clearly ways to accomodate trapping and not negatively impact good deer hunting, BUT IMO it is also true that any human presence in certain areas can negatively impact natural deer movement.

On my own place, I trap the perimeter of my property and also areas that the deer do not frequent. I don't feel as though I hurt the deer hunting one bit. However, if I made a couple of dirt holes right in the middle of a prime bedding area I am sure that would hurt things.

Trapping need not be the end of good deer hunting on a property, but hopefully the trapper(s) and the hunter(s) can work around each other and cooperate.

Bingo!!!

If someone is walking thru their bedding every day, that will have an impact. I hear farmers slamming doors and calling cattle all the time around me while in the stand. Plenty of people racking off rounds in the general area every night. Deer r used to it because those noise makers r not after them and they realize that.

Give deer secure areas where trappers r not walking they daily and it can work well for both trapper and hunter. Obviously it's not like trappers can be anywhere all day long and not alter movement. A consistent trapper that is there and gone the same time daily gives deer a pattern to understand and avoid while still moving in daylight.

I told my trapping buddy where to be and where not to be...working out great so far. Tons of deer on the beans again last night too. Guess the hunter, nor the trapper are not altering movement. :D

Top Bottom