Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

trapping advice

JNRBRONC

Seems that most of the trapping threads are in this section, so here goes.

I know of an active coyote den. Eaisiet thing to do is drape a snare over the entrance. Seems that many times they push the snare out of the way. Is there a better approach? A pocket set close by?

An alternative might be to watch the den with a HP rifle, but I don't have the time.....

Den sites are a perfect place for a dirt set. "Where legal". There is already a pile of loose dirt in front of it so just hollow out a hole to bed your trap, " a #2 coil spring would work great here". Make sure to use a long stake since the top layer of dirt here is not solid. A short chain is also a plus at at a den site. Cover your pan with a large leaf or a piece of waxed paper and sift dry dirt over the set.

"1. A person shall not molest or disturb, in any manner, any den, lodge, or house of a fur-bearing animal or beaver dam except by written permission of an officer appointed by the director. 2. This section does not prohibit the owner from destroying a den to protect the owner's property. " :way:

Hang the trails leading in and out from the den with snares. Stay back a couple hundred yards and you will get all of them. Dirtholes are better but they take time especially with frost and rain etc keeping that set functioning.

Just now saw this and I'm in complete agreement with bonehunter. Hang snares on every trail you think they are using. Work case scenario you will catch a couple bonus coons, skunks, or other egg eaters. Like he said tho, do it a decent distance away from the den.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy
I know a guy who could meet you out there with an electronic caller.

So do I..........:D

Like I said, I don't have the time. Maybe you two can pick them off. :way:

Top Bottom