Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Trapping question

Fishbonker

Life Member
When does coon “rut” start? Do they go through phases like deer? How long does it last? In my very short tenure as a “trapper” I seem to have noticed a drop in activity during the two full moons since trapping season opened and the action picks up again around the new moon. With the full moon in the next day or two should I expect an increase in activity in about 10 days and will that coincide with rut? Will this warm weather spread out the rut?

Cay anybody recommend a lure for love sick boars? When should I start using it? Some of these questions were sort of answered in the ‘yote population thread.

FWIW, and coming from me it ain’t worth much, ham scraps have been the best bait for all critters with ‘tater salad providing a nice surprise. I hope my wife doesn’t miss the ham I’m about to snitch outta the fridge. I’ll just say I made a ‘Bonker sized sammich.

Thanks for any info. I could go to a trapper site to find this out but sometimes it is difficult for a newbie to get an answer.

I'd just use coon urine. Not sure if there's a coon in heat scent on the market. Catch, harvest, and sell; become a millionaire

I think around Jaunuary is when people start catching the big boars, but im not sure if they were looking for lady or the weather got them moving. I would check trapperman out, some guys dont have much repect for new people though.

Almost forgot, but with the temps right now I would still be using fish oil.

Coon rut is going on right now. Not really stages that I know of or have read about. They look for love and get it on. If they happen to stumble upon another boar coon they will fight it out. Now you will find alot of the big boars to be rubbed from "the deed" and also bitten up from other boars, and have bobbed tails from fighting. As far as lures, most still stick with the food type baits.

My buddy borrowed my coyote caller with the coon fight loaded on it and has been just calling them outta thier holes for the last few weeks and has done pretty well at it from what i have heard.Think hes pretty well pulled his traps and went to calling them actually cuz he was having better results.

I agree, the hides are not in prime condition this time of year. I caught a big boar last night and he was all rubbed from breeding and tore up from fighting. Not sure if there has ever been a market for a "breeding season attractant" for coon because of the shape of their fur during this time. I would stick to the food based baits and a good call lure. One good way to make a good,weatherproof call lure is to get some glass baby food jars and a large tub of petroleum jelly. I like to use fish oil or any concentrated liquid flavors from the "Watkins" brand. I have used honey, cherry, vanilla and apple flavors. All sold at Hy-Vee. The key to good call lure is the mixing. Use dremmel tool or drill with a homemade mixing paddle in it. Fill a baby food jar 3/4 full with room temp or warmer petroleum jelly and add a tablespoon or so of the scent of your choice. At first it feels like you are mixing oil and water but it will eventually get mixed really well. Put cap on and write flavor on cap. At every set I like to take a stick and dip a glob of call lure and just throw the stick in the back of my live trap or smear a glob near the set itself. The scent is very strong and won't wash away easily in the rain. :way:

I know I'm late on this one, but anywhere after the 30th of December, switch your call lure to Blackie's Boar Delight. You will not be disappointed on how well that stuff works close to and during the rut.

Top Bottom