Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree ID in winter

When I started many years ago…. I had a couple books I took with. So few perspectives…. I used them as “guides”. Match up leaves & bark, etc. Worked great many many years ago. Now my brain is an app & it’s automatic. But- after a season 25 years ago… I had it down “pretty good”. time in woods with a guide or even printing out color photos of bark & leaves & twigs of certain species is pretty slick. All apps I’ve heard of guys using suck BUT…. Maybe they have advanced since I’ve heard about them.

If u tell me what region of state u in- I’ll tell u the species u want to focus on for the good ones and bad ones.

I have used various apps but they are not incredibly accurate unless the trees are leafed out. Identifying tree species is most difficult when dormant and once you get experience it will be second nature. Try to focus on the buds, stems, and form of tree as opposed to the bark.

Agree on all of the above. No magic bullet, but the apps get better and better as the years go on. The more reps, the more confidence you'll have. I am still learning as well

Every time that the DNR District Forester visits and we go for a walk I learn something new, and if I get stuck on indenting a tree after the visit is over I take some pictures and email them to her, and within a few hours she replies with an answer, amazingly helpful resource.

It has taken me lots of “practice”, but if you spend enough time in the woods, eventually your skill will improve. The apps definitely help a lot, I tried several field guides and websites.

Top Bottom