Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

Where is that oak native to?? I tried to find some info under the scientifc name and there was not anything on google.

Wikipedia said it is native to Iran which is probably right but anyone can post info on Wikipedia.

Where is that oak native to?? I tried to find some info under the scientifc name and there was not anything on google.

Wikipedia said it is native to Iran which is probably right but anyone can post info on Wikipedia.

It is from Iran...

Chestnutleaf OakQuercus castanaefolia ECOS

Large Acorns-Fastest Growth of All Species Oaks
Chestnutleaf oaks fast growth, clean foliage, and branching at a young age make it an ideal ornamental shade tree oak. Its fast growth and excellent acorn production make it ideal as a wildlife mast tree as well. Grows best in sandy droughty soil. Leaves are very thick and glossy. The acorns are 2 inches long and are produced along the branches on short spurs much like sawtooth oak. Our ECOS strain were two trees selected from over 1000 plants, which showed no winter damage, had the fastest growth rate and was true to the species. Many of the other types we tried were not durable enough here. Ecos averages about 2-4 ft. of growth per year once established. Height to 100 ft. in its native Caucasus Mountains and Iran.

ECOS: Fast-growing pyramidal form with clean chestnut foliage.CA Seed Strain: Fast-growing cross that is similar to Turkey Oak. Hardy to -20°F.
Hardiness -25 °F.

How much have your DCO's grown so far Paul?? Some of mine are starting their second growth spurt already!!

They vary a lot but most look like this one

DCO.jpg

These are some white swap oak seedlings from the Iowa State Nursery

WhiteswampOak5-25-09.jpg

WhiteSwampOakseedling.jpg

These are some plantings I sprayed first with a combo of Surflan and Select 2-EC with crop oil concentrate

SurflanandSelectherbicide.jpg

if I hadn't sprayed I wouldn't even be able to find these trees! :eek:

Treatedwithsurflanandselect.jpg

This is a hybrid oak that was hand planted and I just sprayed a circle around each one since they are planted randonly rather then in rows...

Surflanselecttreatedoak.jpg

This is a tree planting properly planted last spring and with good herbicide control...this year...

Treeplantingon80.jpg

The rows and trees are barely visable ad sunlight and nutrients are being sucked away from the seedlings. I went to work mowing between them for the landowner and we hope to get them sprayed yet this summer.

Junemowing.jpg

The brome was nearly shoulder high and took several passes to whack it down! :shock:

MowingTreePlanting.jpg

Had I not mowed it I'm not sure we could even safely see the rows to have mowed it later and will most likely need several more mowings to keep things under control and rows visable.

Some of the oak seedlings had grown nearly above the shorter weeds in the row itself

2ndyrplanting.jpg

Many still struggle for light and like any crop, weeds and grasses rob the seedling of nutrients that can slow it's growth

2yroldtrees.jpg

The background in this pic gives you an idea how rapidly that grasses grow in spring and early summer as shown here on June 9 2009

TallGrass.jpg

Some of my own plantings were done in a cleared blackberry/brush patch so cool season grasses are not the problem.

BlackberryBrambles.jpg

The Oust XP and Surflan combo is working well however and the dying blackberries and goldenrod is now apparant

SurflanOustafter2weeks.jpg

Dyingweeds.jpg

While the oak seedlings remain healthy

Oakseedling-1.jpg

June909Oakseedling.jpg

June09Oakseedling.jpg

The red cedars I used an atrazine/roundup combo to band spray them and that is also working well

RCtreatedwithatrazineandroundup.jpg

Small red cedars seem to struggle the first year and I had high mortaility before spraying

This one is typical, with 80% of the seedling appearing dead but still some green growth indicating it is alive for the time being at least.

RC6-10-09.jpg

So far the oak and shrub seedlings have only 2-5% mortaility despite a terrific hail storm that pounded many of my tree plantings.
Some of my tree plantings I am going to plant food plots in and tillage works in place of mowing

ReadyforHSRyegrass.jpg

I tilled this row and then allowed grasses to regrow and nuked it with roundup

Sprayedwithrup.jpg

Some of it I planted oats and berseem clover that I will till under later in the summer for fall plots

Berseemclovernoats6-10.jpg

Low growing food plots like clover, brassicas or cereal grains don't compete like cool season sod forming grasses and can be useful and serve a dula purpose IF your plot is not along a road... ;)

Great Pics Paul!

Also, if you guys haven't checked out the Oikos Site lately... they've got some new pictures up for many of their oaks.

Late June update on my spring tree plantings and use of various herbicides on my tree plantings. All is well with very little mortality, thanks in part to relentless spring rains in southern Iowa this year.

All oaks and shrubs have done very well but the red cedars had high mortality right out of the box and my IDNR Forestor confirmed that everyone had the same result with red cedar seedlings from Ames this year, something that commonly seems to happen. It's a small price to pay however to be able to get large numbers of otherwise healtly robust seedlings at a very low cost.

I treated my Red Cedars with atrazine and glyphosate which has provided very effective season long weed control.

RedCedarseedlinglateJune.jpg

The cedars look 1/2 alive at best but that is typical sometimes even into the second growing year

RCseedling.jpg

Regardless of where I have ordered RC seedlings from, they always look tough the first year

RCafteratrazine.jpg

A few years back I ordered the larger size RC seedlings from the Iowa State Nursery and they did the best of any I have every planted, but they were out this year.

RC6-26-09.jpg

AtrazineonRedCedar.jpg

The following oak seedlings were sprayed "around not over" with an Oust/Surflan combo using one ounce of Oust XP and one quart of Surflan in my 3 gallon backpack sprayer

Pin Oak
PinOakseedling6-26-09.jpg

OakseedlinglateJune.jpg

Burr oak

OakseedlingafterOust.jpg

I band sprayed a narrow band and then mow or till between rows

AfterOusttreatment.jpg

OakSeedling6-26-09.jpg

These are some of my hybrid oaks that I sprayed last and weeds haven't started dying yet

HybridOaklateJune.jpg

Dwarf Chinkapin Oak

DSC06081.jpg

DCO6-26-09.jpg

DSC06080.jpg

DSC06079.jpg

DSC06078.jpg

The plantings I sprayed first with Oust/Surflan are showing the effects now, with the seedlings unharmed

6-26-09OakSeedling.jpg

Seedlingafteroustkill.jpg

Redoak6-26-09.jpg

The blackberries, goldenrod and grasses are toast!

Ousttreatedtreeplanting.jpg

Oustkilled.jpg

Even the tinest oak seedlings are uneffected by the very powerful herbicide however

Oakafteroust.jpg

AfterOusttreatment-1.jpg

and some are nearly knee high already!

Kneehighon6-27-09.jpg

We recently ordered more Oust through Townsend Chemical (see the herbicide thread) and it was down to a little over $5 an ounce, making it very affordable! They also said it was no longer a restricted use pesticide which makes it eaiser for anyone to order and use Oust.

It's too powerful to use on many new shrub seedlings but very safe for oaks and conifers as long as roots are well covered at planting.

In very early spring before bud break it's safe to go over the top of oak seedlings at 1-3 ounces per acre but after bud break one needs to direct spray away from leaves... ;)

DT,

I am too lazy right now to read up on Oust. What's the recommended dose per seedling and it's a pre emergent herbicide right to keep the weeds suppressed. What all does it control???

You'll have to forgive me if I come up with a handful of questions today...I'm at work with not much going on and have wildlfe plantings on the mind! I was looking up trees listed at the Iowa DNR Forestry and they had one called "Mixed Oak". Said to contain "Red, White, Bur, Pin, and Black in various proportions. Because of the variety it is adaptable to more soil and planting situations". So is this similar to other Hybrid Oaks? Anyone have experience with these trees.

Also how do you get by with just planting the oaks and not using cages or tubes?

DT,

I am too lazy right now to read up on Oust. What's the recommended dose per seedling and it's a pre emergent herbicide right to keep the weeds suppressed. What all does it control???

Oust controls a very wide variety of broadleaves and grasses and is my favorite herbicide for this reason. It has powerful residual control as well as very deadly post emergent killing power as you can see by my pics.

Rates vary widely so please read the label before using Oust XP but 1-4 ounces per acre is reccomended for most hardwoods and conifers. it's extremely important to have roots well covered and soil firmly packed and preferably settled by rain before spraying over seedlings.

Best bet to is to apply on late March or early April before planting and then follow up each spring before bud break. In my case I waited until spring rains had settled the soil and then sprayed around (not over) leafed out seedlings.

I used one ounce of Oust XP and one quart of Surflan in my 3 gallon backpack sprayer to give you some idea what was used in the pics above.

Oust XP Label

Interestingly enough, one of the few grasses it doesn't control is switchgrass and big bluestem (more on that later...;) )

You'll have to forgive me if I come up with a handful of questions today...I'm at work with not much going on and have wildlfe plantings on the mind! I was looking up trees listed at the Iowa DNR Forestry and they had one called "Mixed Oak". Said to contain "Red, White, Bur, Pin, and Black in various proportions. Because of the variety it is adaptable to more soil and planting situations". So is this similar to other Hybrid Oaks? Anyone have experience with these trees.

Also how do you get by with just planting the oaks and not using cages or tubes?

Jordan, those are all just standard oak species, not "hybrids". A hybrid is a cross between two distinct species of parent trees much like crossing an Angus cow with a Herford bull...two different breeds but both "cattle" but the offspring is a "hybrid.

Oaks are exactly the same way and often "cross breed" in the wild, creating hybrids, some of which can only be certain by DNA testing.

Examples that I have planted are Bur X English Oaks, Bur X Gambel Oaks and Schuettes Oak (a white swamp oak cross)

Okios Tree Crops probally has the largest selection of hybrid oaks of any place in the world (to my knowledge)

Oikos Tree Crops - Hybrid Oaks

We bought the burgamble and burenglish oaks from the Idaho State nursery this spring and am very impressed thus far.(link on first page)

Tubes are nice but not necessary and almost impossible when planting thousands of seedlings as it's just cost prohibitive (for me at least ;) )

Cages are another story, not needed when the seedlings are small but when they get to be small saplings buck will kill them at a rapid rate!

I try to collect old woven wire from old fence rows that farmers have torn out and just cut a piece off and encircle the tree with no posts used.

Unlike apple trees, generally this is enough to keep them from rubbing the trees until they get large enough where they will leave them alone. :)

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 600px" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%" align=left>Oikos has tree shelters and other supplies on sale if anyone is interested, might want to check other sources as well but thought I would pass it on.

Okios Tree Crops

<TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px" id=content_LETTER.BLOCK1 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom align=middle> [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]July 28,2009[/FONT]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​
</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #bfce85; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 1px" bgColor=#bfce85 vAlign=top align=left><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e8ecda" bgColor=#e8ecda vAlign=top width="100%" colSpan=2 align=left><TABLE id=content_LETTER.BLOCK2 border=0 cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif; COLOR: #000000; FONT-SIZE: 12pt" align=middle>[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Oikos Tree Crops [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]50% off Growing Supplies[/FONT]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=content_LETTER.BLOCK3 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #5d5c56; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" align=middle>[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]SALE ENDS AUGUST 7, 2009 [/FONT]****LIMITED QUANTITIES ****
[/FONT]​
[/FONT]​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #a9a89d" bgColor=#a9a89d vAlign=top width="100%" colSpan=2 align=left></TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 30px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e8ecda; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" bgColor=#e8ecda vAlign=top align=left><TABLE style="WIDTH: 410px" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=410><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%" align=left><TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e8ecda; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px" id=content_LETTER.BLOCK4 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" bgColor=#e8ecda><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #4f604f; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]SALE ITEMS[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BIO PAK Teabags 10 gram 100ct [/FONT]
List $14.00 SALE $7.00

[FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Root Zone Organic Teabags [/FONT][FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]25ct[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]List $14.00 SALE $7.00[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BIOPAK [FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1/2lb.[/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]List $21.00 SALE $10.50[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]BIOPAK Plus [FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1lb[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif].[/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]List $22.00 SALE $11.00[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Healthy Start Macro Tablets [FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]21gm 50ct[/FONT][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]List $15.00 SALE $7.50[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Soilicious 1.25 cubic ft. [/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]List $18.50 SALE $9.25 [/FONT]

[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wood Mulch Mats [FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]30" X 36"[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]List $5.50 SALE $2.75
[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Tubex Treeshelters - 50% OFF [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]TreePro Treeshelters[/FONT][FONT=Arial Black, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] - 50% OFF [/FONT][/FONT]

Clicking on 'SALE ITEMS' will take you to the Growing Supplies section of the web site.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e8ecda" id=content_LETTER.BLOCK7 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" bgColor=#a9a89d><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #e0decf; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Oikos Tree Crops
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Questions - email:[/FONT] [email protected]

[/FONT]
[/FONT]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="100%" align=left><TABLE style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: 10px" id=content_LETTER.BLOCK5 border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #4f604f; FONT-SIZE: 10pt" vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Verdana,Geneva,Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is our clean out the barn sale. Hope you can find some of these products useful.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you,[/FONT]
[FONT=Papyrus, Comic Sans MS, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ken Asmus[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Good info Paul!!

The best time to buy anything is in the off season...the best part...the best time of year to plant is coming right up and that is when most people never shovel any dirt!!! :D

Good info Paul!!

The best time to buy anything is in the off season...the best part...the best time of year to plant is coming right up and that is when most people never shovel any dirt!!! :D

Good reminder Phil because anytiime now is a good time to start killing planting spots for acorns or fall plantings of seedlings once they are dormant.

Townsend Chemical will ship Oust XP by the ounce (minimum 2 ounces I think) and it's only $5+ an ounce (1-3 ounces per acre) making it very affordable residual weed control that can be applied now or this fall for spring plantings.

Mix with glyphosate to nuke everything and make sure it doesn't come back...:way:

We'll need to bring up reminders about proper acorn handling, storage and planting again soon...;)

So with oust, I can spray it around already established seedlings and not hurt the roots, or spray it ahead of the fall plantings and be okay correct? It should not be applied until the soil settles on new plantings if I am not mistaken.

So with oust, I can spray it around already established seedlings and not hurt the roots, or spray it ahead of the fall plantings and be okay correct? It should not be applied until the soil settles on new plantings if I am not mistaken.

yes...that's correct with the exception of apple trees and some shrubs and those are probally safe the second year after palnting.​
Oaks can tolerate Oust well as long as soil is settled by some good rains.

If you apply it now and plant oaks in October for instance it's very safe but problems can occur when using a tree planter that leaves some roots exposed and an operator follows right behind with a spray rig.

I suspect that's not going to be problem in your case Phil...lol..... dbltree

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed I have some black oaks that have either died or are dying from oak wilt

You can see a dead one that died last year and one to the left that is dying now

DeadOak.jpg

Trees start to show symptoms in May and June and once they do, there is no cure...they are goners...:(

DyingOak.jpg

Leaves turning brown in spring is a sure sign...

Dyingoakleaves.jpg

Oak wilt is an aggressive disease that affects many species of oak (Quercus spp.). It is one of the most serious tree diseases in the eastern United States, killing thousands of oaks each year in forests, woodlots, and home landscapes.

These links will help you understand more about oak wilt but use care NOT to cut oaks in early summer as it will only encourage the spread of this serious disease. A wound on the tree can spell certain death so use caution also when doing TSI or hinge cutting not to drop trees against oaks. Girdling is a safer method of opening up canopy and not causing injury. White oaks are less susceptibable then red oaks which can often die within 3 weeks of becoming infected.

How to Identify, Prevent, and Control Oak Wilt

Oak Wilt in Wisconsin

Oak Wilt

On a brighter subject... :)

This is one of Skips persimmon seedlings...something I'm still working on as so far I have not had a persimmon bud out or come up from seed.

Persimmon.jpg

Persimmons thus far have remained a challenge for me so I may try some potted seedlings from Red Fern Farm

yes...that's correct with the exception of apple trees and some shrubs and those are probally safe the second year after palnting.
Oaks can tolerate Oust well as long as soil is settled by some good rains.

If you apply it now and plant oaks in October for instance it's very safe but problems can occur when using a tree planter that leaves some roots exposed and an operator follows right behind with a spray rig.

I suspect that's not going to be problem in your case Phil...lol..... dbltree

My one concern is if I go ahead and spray now, the spots where acorns or seedlings will be put in the fall. What happens if I mix the soil in the hole that had the oust sprayed on it?? Is that good bad or in different?? I figured that would harm the roots and the oust needs to stay on the top correct??

Top Bottom