Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

What order do you mix that brew in? I was told to mix the surfactants in last by a buddy who works at Monsanto. He told me to mix in the certainty (outrider), oust etc first and then mix in the roundup last.

I hear ya on that Phil!! I think I'm going to love planting the cuttings from Big Rock Trees for that very reason...no roots! :D

Let's keep an eye on growth and see how they compare this year.

Where I will be planting shrubs this year I will use Surflan and Simazine, less effective all season weed control but entirely safe for most shrubs and trees.... :way:

I plan on going around the shumard and cherrybark oak seedlings I planted after a few rains to make sure the soil is settled well. It is very sandy to start with so maybe I should just wait till next year before applying the oust around them and just go with straight roundup this year??

What are your thoughts on that Paul? This is along the creek and at least half is sandy loam or better in the top foot.

What order do you mix that brew in? I was told to mix the surfactants in last by a buddy who works at Monsanto. He told me to mix in the certainty (outrider), oust etc first and then mix in the roundup last.

Yes...I agree and that's what I do, simazine, oust, roundup, crop oil (roundup and cropoil are not always needed) and then mix well!

I plan on going around the shumard and cherrybark oak seedlings I planted after a few rains to make sure the soil is settled well. It is very sandy to start with so maybe I should just wait till next year before applying the oust around them and just go with straight roundup this year??

What are your thoughts on that Paul? This is along the creek and at least half is sandy loam or better in the top foot.

There is no caution regarding soil types, only against new planted seedlings that may under duress, otherwise oak seedlings can tolerate up to three ounces of Oust and that is more then I have ever used.

I would for certain wait until a good rain settles the soil and then perhaps use a light rate of on ounce or less on the light soil to test it Phil.

I sprayed 2 ounces over the top of thousands of oak seedlings last year with no mortaility although it was on heavy soils.

Here's a link to the label: Oust XP Herbicide Label

I think I will wait till next year to apply the oust to be on the safe side. I can take care of them easily enough with roundup this year.

Can you use oust around apple trees.I didn't see it listed on the label.Thanks

NO!! Oust will kill young apple trees!!

Dbltree--How much water do you mix with 2 oz's of oust.

That depends on how many gallons of water your sprayer applies per acre? Look in the Herbicide thread for links on calibrating your sprayer and then mix the appropriate amount of product.

Every sprayer is different, different nozzles/tips, pressure, backpack sprayers, ATV sprayers, Tractor mounted sprayers....hundreds of different variables that make it impossible to answer that question until you calibrate your sprayer. ;)

Is there any herbicide or mix of herbicides that I can spray on 2 to 3 year old white cedar trees and kill most or all of the grass and weeds but not harm the cedar trees?

thanks

Is there any herbicide or mix of herbicides that I can spray on 2 to 3 year old white cedar trees and kill most or all of the grass and weeds but not harm the cedar trees?

thanks

Before conifers candle, you can actually spray roundup over the top (so this time of year) but all of the herbicides mentioned are safe early in the year.

Clethodim is also safe later on over the top of most conifers but later in the season I would do a "test" spraying to check for adverse reactions.

Check the front page of this thread for all herbicide details and the herbicide thread for labels...:way:

Normally I don't have much problem with deer browsing oak seedlings but this year was an exception!

Browsedoaks.jpg

The snow and cold stayed all winter and deer fed on everything and anything!

Browsing.jpg

They'll recover of course but it does slow the growth process and is another reason to consider tubes and/or fencing. The IDNR State Nursery lost all their large size red cedar seedling stock due to deer wreaking havoc on them because of the harsh conditions this past winter.

I've been working on spraying over the top of previous tree plantings as you can see by the blue dye in these pics:

Sprayed.jpg

The oaks won't break bud for some time as you can see with this swamp white oak

SwampWhiteOak.jpg

The shrubs were starting to leaf out even as of March 30th so i had to use caution to spray around and not over them.

Shrub3-30.jpg

I was using an Oust XP, Simazine, Roundup combo...safe over dormant trees but lethal once budded out!

Shrubleafingout.jpg

An example of well thought out planting that includes two rows of red cedars for screening along a road!

Cedarscreen.jpg

Glad I have the spraying nearly done...planting time now! :)

Dbltree or letemgrow, do rabbits and mice chew or girdle chokecherry seedlings/small trees at all? I'm just wondering if I need to protect them from these rodents like I do with apple trees, or do they normally leave chokecherry alone?

thanks

Thats a good question, the deer ate all my chokecherry and chokeberry bushes the year I planted them and they all died soon after. More were planted this spring, but during a hard winter I know wild plum is chewed on during tough winter times by rabbits.

If you keep the rows sprayed (treated with herbicide) and the area between rows mowed then rabbits are less of a problem but if planted in an area with lot's of cover...I don't think any shrubs or trees are safe including chokecherry...;)

I got my cuttings from Big Rock Trees last week and quickly got them planted!

Redosier, Silky and Yellow Twig Dogwoods along with Ninebark and California Privet...all in neat little packages!

CIMG0864.jpg

CIMG0866.jpg

Amazingly easy to plant! It's imperative to keep the buds pointing up but hard to make a mistake with the cuttings "sharpened" on one end.

Cutenddown.jpg

Ninebark.jpg

John has the following info on his web site regarding planting cuttings...

How do I plant cuttings?

Depending on your planting location, you can plant cuttings using one of the following methods:

Method #1: (Moist/Soft ground) If the ground is soft enough, you can simply push the cutting into the ground to the desired depth. If you are having trouble getting the cutting in the ground, chances are you need to use method #2.

Method #2: (Hard or rocky ground) Use a tool to create an opening for the cutting. You can use a length of rebar of similar diameter driven to the desired depth. After creating a pilot hole for the cutting, place the cutting in the hole and firm the soil around it by using the same tool near the cutting to firm the soil around it.

What kind of weed control is necessary?

Good weed control is necessary to assure your plantings success. If you are planting a high quantity for wildlife, the easiest option is to spray a non-selective herbicide prior to planting. Or you can maintain an area around the planting by spraying or cultivating around the plantings to reduce weed competition. After 1 - 2 years the plantings should not require weed control as they will be well established. You may choose to use some type of weed barrier (plastic or fabric) around your cuttings. The preferred method is to place the barrier prior to planting, then insert your cutting through the weed barrier. A good barrier should extend 18" - 24" in all directions.

Is rooting hormone required?

If Hormodin #1 is recommended, it can be considered optional. If Hormodin #3 is recommended it is required. Some species are more difficult to root, requiring rooting hormone. Using Hormodin #1 is only to give your cuttings a little help, but not required.

Do cuttings require protection from deer?

Yes. The tender new growth of cuttings is desert to deer. If they find them they will more than likely eat them. Hopefully that is one of the reasons you are planting them. You can protect them with fencing, tree tubes, etc. Once the plants are established they will be able to survive heavy browsing, and bounce right back. BUT, I have planted 1000's of cuttings in the wild and never protected a single one. Many of the cuttings I plant are placed in the brush of a cut down tree (tree top). This acts as a natural cage, protecting the cutting during establishment. The cutting will grow up through the top. Once it makes it out, its big enough to fend for itself. I have also planted many of them out in the open in shear numbers. The deer get some of them, but many survive.

What spacing do you recommend for creating a screen?

We recommend (3) staggered rows. The rows should be 10 feet apart and the plants should be 6 feet apart.

What spacing do you recommend for a natural planting (not a screen)?

Depending on what you are trying to accomplish (cover, browse, etc.) the answer will vary. Generally speaking, use the listed width of the plant as a guide. If you are trying to create thick cover, make the spacing 1/2 of the listed width. If browse is what you are after make the spacing 1 - 2 times the listed width.

I planted mine on rich moist lowland soils so merely pushed the cuttings in...sure a whole lot easier then planting something with a big root system!!

Easytoplant.jpg

I used simazine and surflan for herbicides...

SprayingCuttings.jpg

Big Rock Trees cuttings are a very easy way to establish shrubs for screening, bedding and browsing!! :way:

Planted cuttings for the first time this year. Some are in 12 inch rootmaker bags and some were direct planted on the farm. An easy way I found was putting cuttings in tree tops that were cut during TSI. This way they can get good growth for a while before the deer can browse them.

Looks great Paul and I know you will have some updated photos of their growth later on. :D

I planted 100 cedars last night, from Cold Stream. I've always been pretty happy with the size and root mass they send(2 yr olds). And i'm welcoming the rain that we're getting today!

I have a shipment of chestnuts, persimmons, apple trees, and some seed (chestnut/walnut) arriving here on Thursday from Burnt Ridge Nursery. It's the 1st time i've ordered from them, so i'm interested in what the quality... I'll let you all know, and take some pics!

I ordered 5 american chestnut seedlings from Cold Stream and I was very happy with their service and seedlings too.

Keep us posted on your trees this summer Joey! :way:

Never fails....seedlings show up a week early! :D

CIMG0902.jpg

No big deal...just heal them in and plant them ASAP... :geek:
I just dig a trench...

Trenchtoheelin.jpg

Then spread them out...

WhiteSwampOak.jpg

Leave a tag on each group/variety

SwampWhiteOak-1.jpg

Cover em up and pack em down firmly, water if no rain in sight.

Heeledin.jpg

I've kept them heeled in for 2-3 weeks and then planted them successfully.

I did get the Wild Plums planted...

WildPlum.jpg

Don't forget to keep the roots in water or a planting bag with a dab of water so the roots don't dry out as you plant.

CIMG0910.jpg

A dibble bar works great if they don't have huge root systems

CIMG0911.jpg

Make a hole, insert the roots preferably with out creating a -J- effect as you do. I usually push the roots down with the bar if need be, then move the bar forward and close the hole, repeat to make sure both the top and bottom of the hole have closed tightly against the roots.

CIMG0912.jpg

I'll be planting trees for a month a Sundays this spring! :eek:

I am still waiting for my trees to arrive so we went to work on "fixing up" some neglected trees from last years planting.
I sprayed oust and princip on the spruce trees last year, but I some how forgot to spray this row of mixed trees... some red dogwood, hybrid poplar, red cedar, and white pine. The weeds had pressed these trees flat to the ground, but after some searching, we found and flagged quite a few survivors!
DSC00025.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

We put tree tubes on them and sprayed around all the trees with oust and princep
DSC00031.jpg

DSC00032.jpg

This project is intended to thickin our property line... I had my dad crawl up in the neighbors treestand to give guidence as to where we need more trees! ha ha ;)
DSC00034.jpg

Top Bottom