Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

Here is the progress on some of my rootmaker projects this year.

Black Walnut in 18 cell express tray.

100_1420.jpg

Perennial sunflowers that are rhizomatous so I should be able to get at least 25 plants off this one 5-gallon rootmaker bag.

100_1418.jpg

Perennial blazing stars and sunflowers just starting to pop up in 12 inch bags.

100_1419.jpg

These Northern reds were planted last fall in these bags and the bags were put down at ground level in a flower garden and they are doing great!! Just had to try it since I never knew when that process may come in handy. Then I could just pull up the bag and all and every single root would still be inside.

100_1417.jpg

awesome stuff! I just ordered a bunch of rootmaker products from BigRockTrees and am excited to put them to work! I am especially excited to try planting chestnuts. If I were to buy or find some seed, when would I want to plant them in the rootmakers? and would I start them in the 18 cell tray or start with the 3 or 5 gallon bag?

Start in the 18 cell trays and move up from there, follow the 4 inch rule and they should do great. Store the seeds in the fridge till spring in damp peat then plant them out when frost is over and MAKE SURE TO PROTECT THEM FROM SQUIRRELS!!!! :D

I do not use a potting mix for the bags since I run into problems when planting a well drained rootball into soil that is not so well drained and it traps water in the planting hole and can drown the seedlings.

Looking great Phil! My seedlings are growing like crazy in the Rootmakers!!

I do not use a potting mix for the bags since I run into problems when planting a well drained rootball into soil that is not so well drained and it traps water in the planting hole and can drown the seedlings. <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

So what did you use Phil?

I asked a few other folks about this and they say the idea is to have othing but "roots" by using the soilless mix but I never thought about the possibility of drowning??

I just finished planting a few trees from Burnt Ridge Nursery. Overall the quality of the stock was real nice. Nice root systems. And for the price, they're relatively an inexpensive nursery. I sampled a few items in this order, but will be making some more orders in the future.

Here is an Arkansas Black Apple. About 1" in diameter, and standing on root, about 5' tall. Overall it looks to be a year older in size than other fruit tree's i've purchased locally or online. It also came with a large bambo stake and plastic tie.

DSC_0001.jpg

Here are some 2 year old persimmons.

DSC_0004.jpg

1 yr old Colossal Chestnuts

DSC_0005.jpg

The Chinese Chestnuts were close to 3ft tall.

DSC_0007.jpg

I also ordered 1 Burenglish to test out. 2 yrs old and look real nice.

DSC_0008.jpg

I also ordered some Connecticut Early Chestnut Trees, and a couple pounds of Bisalta #3 Chestnut Seed & Hardy Carpathian Walnut Seed. The Chestnuts were already sprouting. Next step is to get some tubes around some of them, and kill some of the surrounding competing grass.

DSC_0011-1.jpg

Last edited:
They are using the hybrid cross, The ACCF (American Chestnut Cooperators Foundation) is another trying to bring back the chestnut and they use 100% American Chestnuts that have some blight resistance. I have quite a few american chestnuts growing on my place. Some have died back from blight, but some are doing well with the blight so they have at least some resistance.

Blight Resistant American Chestnut:

3-yearAmericanChestnut.jpg

chestnut.jpg

AmericanChestnut.jpg

I just finished planting a few trees from Burnt Ridge Nursery. Overall the quality of the stock was real nice. Nice root systems. And for the price, they're relatively an inexpensive nursery.

Mine should be here shortly! The ones we planted last year are doing great! :way:

We used the County Conservation Board tree planter the other day and got our seedlings planted...

TreePlanter-1.jpg

My friend Walt did the planting and between us got about 800-900 seedlings in the ground.

WaltPlanting.jpg

This heavy ground doesn't close very well around the seedlings so we alway go back and pack them in good.

Packingthemin.jpg

Nice little rain last night so it worked out perfectly! :way:

Any idea when we should expect fall planted acorns to germinate Phil?

Nothing so far in any of our fall plantings :confused:

Nosprout.jpg

If nothing germinates I'll plant seedlings from the Rootmakers in the tubes but not until I'm sure they are not going to grow.

Any idea when we should expect fall planted acorns to germinate Phil?

Nothing so far in any of our fall plantings :confused:

I would expect them anytime now, I did not have any sprout up yet last I checked, but the acorns were still viable underground. I checked a few. :way:

I wanna say last year that it was at least mid may before I say any pop up and quite possibly June in some cases. With warmer temps this spring, they have to come up sooner I would think.

I lifted a guard on some dwarf chinkapin oak acorns I planted and accidentally clipped one of the acorns that was in the ground and it broke in half. The insides were still nice and yellow so it had to still be good. I checked about 50 tubes and not a single one had anything popping up yet.

Here is a black walnut that I pulled out of a 18 express cell. Look at how the root pruning affected the side roots!!! :D

100_1421.jpg

Whooweee! My oak seedlings are growing like crazy in the Rootmaker cells!

These are Timburr chestnuts I bought from Oikos along with acorns last fall.

Timburrchesnuts.jpg

This oaks will prolly be dropping acorns any day now! :D

Oakseedlings4-16.jpg

So far I am sold on starting oaks and other seeds in these things! :)

Top Bottom