Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

Acorns are coming up!!

Dwarf Chinkapin Oak

TrailCamPics002.jpg

Northern Red Oak:

TrailCamPics008.jpg

American Chestnut:

TrailCamPics015-1.jpg

My fall planted acorns are starting to "hatch"...:D

Oakfromacorn.jpg

I think the warm humid rainy weather over the weekend is helping...:way:

Great pics guys! Love the antler drop.

I checked my acorns a couple days ago.. nothing yet. Should be anyday though.

Also, Oikos is having a tree sale on certain trees. I just ordered 20 Burenglish Oaks for $30.

Thanks Phil! We're hoping ours will be here in a week or so! :way:

Many of our oak seedlings endured some heavy browsing this past winter although they see to spring right back to life with plenty of new growth.

2yrseedling.jpg

They will be years behind in growth at that rate however so we're giving the Rigid Protectors a try using a fiberlglass electric fence post for a stake.

RigidProtector.jpg

I had some bamboo left over from a tree shipment so we'll see how long they last as well

Rigidwbamboo.jpg

We found that it was more for shipping then the bamboo costs bringing the total 2/3rd's of the cost of the fiberglass posts which are virtually unbreakable and have a 10 warranty. Stakes are something each landowner would need to decide for themselves what is cost effective long term for them.

Rigid Seedling Protector Tubes

The tree protectors are less expensive then tubes and of course not going to enhance growth like a tube but worth considering in situations where browsing is a problem... ;)

I have bamboo that has lasted 4 years now. If someone will be doing a one time planting, then bamboo is probably the ticket. If plantings are planned every year, then something like rebar or fiberglass rods would be a better choice IMO so they are only bought once.

I have bamboo that has lasted 4 years now

Phil do you have a link to your bamboo source? Curious what shipping is from that source?

I think bamboo is a great option if I can get it shipped reasonably...;)

A couple weeks ago I ordered Tubex Tubes(came with zip ties) and Bamboo poles from Rays Supply Company. Cost was 5 tubes for $5 for the tubes, and and the bamboo was 30 cents each for the larger 5ft by 1/2". Shipping for the 14 poles and 15 tubes was $14.18

So all in all about $2.25 per tree total. No doubt the cost would go down though if I had ordered more.

Last edited:
John from Big Rock Trees asked me to test atrazine on some of his cuttings so I did just that yesterday.

I planted dogwoods, arrowwood, elderberry and others and treated them with various dosages of atrazine mixed in my sprayer to put on 4 quarts per acre. I sprayed most of them normally at approximately that rate but soaked some down at 2-3 times that and sprayed others very lightly.

Cuttingswithatrazine.jpg

Cuttingwithlittleatrazine.jpg

I sprayed the area good with roundup first then planted the cuttings going over the top of most of them and around others to see if it makes any difference.

I checked on the other cuttings I planted a while back and some are starting to sprout!

Cuttingsprouted.jpg

I sprayed these with Simazine (Princep) and Surflan which are pretty safe on tree seedlings

Sproutedcutting.jpg

I'll keep and eye on growth of the cuttings with and without atrazine and report back... ;)

Just a reminder when planting shrubs that they can be used to funnel deer and can be used in conjunction with NWSG or screening cover such as this Egyptian Wheat or sorghum and corn.

In this case I am preparing to plant the lane between the shrubs and EW to clover to further encourage deer to follow this route that leads thru cover to more food sources and of course by my tree stand.

The shrubs not only provide screening but all of mine are also full of beds and scrapes abound as bucks travel the edge.....;)

EWtunnel.jpg

Phil have you checked on your Concordia oaks that you transplanted last fall? Curious how those are doing this spring and how growth will compare to other oaks?

Concordia Oaks

I noticed that other day that many of my fall planted DCO's were sprouting in the tubes! :way:

So far, nothing out of the ordinary comparing Concordia with everything else. My northern reds have put on 10 inches of growth already, but they were planted a couple years ago and the deer kept them in check so that is not suprising. They were the superior one year old seedlings from the MDC. They have brand new fence around them so I would expect a few feet of growth by the end.

The concordia oaks were planted out on my farm last fall so I suspect them to be ahead of any concordia oaks I gave out that were planted this spring.

Some comparisions

White Oak:

TrailCamPics014-1.jpg

Concordia oak:

TrailCamPics012-1.jpg

Dwarf Chinkapin:

TrailCamPics013-1.jpg

Last edited:
The leaves look like the chinkapin...is that part of the 3 way cross of the Concordia? I haven't noticed what the parentage is?

Take good care of them! :way:

Chinkapinxdwarf chinkapinxswamp white is the parentage of the Concordia Oak. One Concordia seems to be more dwarf chinkapin, especially compared to the other Concordia oaks. I am watching that one closely, but the buds were just starting to swell on that seedling when I took these pics.

Our Protex Tree Tubes arrived from Forestry suppliers so I got started assembling and installing them. I soon found out that assembling these things is better done on a rainy day ahead of time then in the field simply because it is a little time consuming.

My friend letemgrow suggested drilling more vent holes in them first so I laid stacks over a board and drilled 3/8 holes thru them and then started assembly.

I found it eaiser to go thru and pop open all the tabs first because a few required the use of a knife

DSC01335.jpg

Just roll them and start slipping the tabs into the openings but again I found this easier setting in a chair with the tube between my knees then out in the field with the wind blowing the tube around.

DSC01334.jpg

Mice can be a problem in tree tubes so herbicide is important to keep grass away and mine are all pretty clean having been sprayed with a gly/oust/simazine combo. I just used my boot to level soil and clear any debris before setting the tube.

DSC01339.jpg

DSC01340.jpg

The tube then sets tightly against the soil surface decreasing the chances that rodents will slip in and set up shop.

DSC01336.jpg

We are using 48" fiberglass posts that are 50% more then bamboo + shipping but will last a lifetime and less likely to be destroyed by marauding bucks in the fall.

DSC01338.jpg

The tubes already have a double rows of holes all the way down one side for tying to posts so they do have some venilation beside added holes I drilled so hopefully we won't encounter problems with hardening off this fall.

I'll update pics of growth compared to non-tubed trees as we go thru the summer

DSC01337.jpg

The Protex tubes are very reasonably priced, long lasting and in comparative tests growth was on par with tubes 2-3 times the cost.

Protex® Pro/Gro Solid Tube Tree Protectors

We applied for and recieved a 50% cost share grant from the National Wild Turkey Federation (maximum of $600 - 1200 total) to defray the costs of both establishing hardwood tree plantings and to establish clover plots.

© 2010 National Wild Turkey Federation

We also recieved 200 free oak trees from NWTF so it pays not only to be a member but to be involved and in contact with your area NWTF biologists to know what is available and when applications must be in.... ;)

Top Bottom