Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

Here is some interesting information between white and red oaks. Reds may not be as desired, but have more value for a whitetail since they are more consistent producers and have acorns that are more nutritious.

Kind of like spinach for us I guess :D

http://www.whitetailstewards.com/ar...fluencingacornproduct/table1factorsacorns.gif

table1factorsacorns.gif

Looks like elderberry and hazelnuts are tops on the menu at my place browse wise.

ElderberryBrowse.jpg

HazelnutBrowse.jpg

This is a cherry bark oak that looks like it can handle the winters up here, except for the winter browse. It for sure did not die back to the ground, but died back some. I suspect that is from the deer browse tho. Going to keep an eye on these to see how well they do up here.

CherrybarkOak.jpg

This Black Oak has never let me down yet. Loaded again with acorns.

BlackOak.jpg

Looks like they are fond of your "tasty" natural forage Phil! :D

How are your fall planted acorn plantings? Seems like very few of mine germinated but I do have some coming up still.

DSC01341.jpg

The acorns I started in the Rootmakers are still growing like weeds though!

5-26-10Oaks.jpg

Haven't checked the root growth yet but they seem "happy" for now...;)

5-26-10Oakseedlings.jpg

One of these days I'll either have to plant them or move them to RootTrapper bags...:)

I am sitting at 50% right now for germination. Just checked on them yesterday and more popped up from the last time I was back. My American Chestnuts range from just popping up to being 8 inches tall already!! The dwarf chinkapins really took off when I checked them as many more have popped up. From what I can tell, a good way to get seedlings in each tube is to plant 2-3 acorns per tube and if more than one grows, keep the most vigorous ones at years end and cut the other back for the deer to browse. :D

plant 2-3 acorns per tube

Funny you should mention that because my forester said he plants a handful in each one...so I can see where that might not be a bad idea.

Haven't checked mine in a week so maybe more are coming up...so far the DCO's are the main ones coming up...:way:

Funny you should mention that because my forester said he plants a handful in each one...so I can see where that might not be a bad idea.

Haven't checked mine in a week so maybe more are coming up...so far the DCO's are the main ones coming up...:way:

I would not plant more than 5 per tube just from my personal observations. More than 1 is definitely a good idea tho. :way:

I also noticed the white oaks look like they will have another bumper crop this year. Checked some white, bur and swamp whites and they all had a good share of acorns. Some had more than others and those were the same trees that had more last year too. I think I found some keepers. ;)

Oaks

Dbltree: I am wondering if you could start a completely different thread titled "oaks or mast producing trees" or simply "oaks". It seems to be such as major topic. I see you have oak savannas, but this would narrow it down a bit.

Dbltree: I am wondering if you could start a completely different thread titled "oaks or mast producing trees" or simply "oaks". It seems to be such as major topic. I see you have oak savannas, but this would narrow it down a bit.

I'll work on that when I get time...good idea! :way:

Went and checked some seedlings and they are doing great!!

This chokeberry has grown well over 2 feet already this year. This is a 4 foot tall doublewide tree pro tube.

100_1464.jpg

This chokeberry right next to it has not fared so well with no protection. :D

100_1469.jpg

Shumard Oak with a foot of growth since this spring.

100_1471.jpg

Why I also have to protect walnuts on my property if desired.

100_1465.jpg

I started using the mesh tubes for seedlings and so far they seem to work pretty well.

Silky dogwood:

100_1466.jpg

After I spun the mesh tube so all the goodies were back inside.

100_1467.jpg

This oak seedling was about 2 ft tall when we put the 4 ft tall Protex tube over it after planting this spring!:way:

CIMG1300.jpg

Not all growing like that of course but ALL are thriving thus far in the Protex Tubes...:)

I went for a little walk last night to check on the trees.

A Couple Different Burenglish Oaks. I purchased 20 from Oikos for $30 when they had their sale a few weeks ago. Since then most of the leaves they had were burnt from a frost, but quickly regrew new ones. So far, all but one is still alive. I weed-eated 3-4ft holes to the ground, and then used the bucket method with roundup, about a month later.

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

Here's an American Hazelnut planted by nut last fall. Of the 6 tubes I planted, 4 are thriving well like this one.

DSC_0052.jpg

Here are some Basalta Chestnuts, that I planted this Spring from seed. They are easily the most vigorious tree's I have growing. I planted 2 per hole, but now I have 2 growing in each hole, due to their good germination rates. Most are 3-6" tall.

DSC_0049.jpg

Here are a Bur Oak and (I believe) a Swamp White seedling that I planted from acorn in Spring 09. They sure are growing slow, but hopefully they're putting down roots instead.

DSC_0054.jpg

I'm starting to find a few tree's that are coming back from regrowth that I abandoned earlier. You can see a sawtooth coming through the thick broam here. I need to get some roundup around this guy.

DSC_0051.jpg

In the past 2 weeks, I noticed that a lot of the tree's are getting hammered by bugs. I'll be putting some insecticides on them soon.

DSC_0053.jpg

I planned on taking more pictures, and checking out a few more plantings, but it got cut short when I about stepped on a snake that was curled around one of my Burenglish Oaks. I'm a pansy when it comes to big snakes. With the thick brome 3-5 ft tall you can't see where you step. And after seeing that snake, every branch I stepped on felt like a snake. So I'll come back in a few days! lol

Last edited:
I noticed many of mine are too Joey, perhaps because of the wet weather they are worse this year?

Your trees look great! :way:

Yeah, it may be. In the past, the main problem I've had with bugs have been late summer, when the grasshoppers are in full force.

FYI- I stopped by IA DNR Forest Nursery Friday- I wanted some Chinkapin oaks for LATER - like fall or maybe next spring (I always line stuff up super far in advance so places don't run out) - they actually have some Chinkapins in the cooler right now (cheap) someone could buy. I'm getting some in fall or next spring BUT they have some right now. (I realize we're a little late here BUT might be worth getting them for someone?). Just an FYI. Their # is 515-233-1161

*Obviously inquired about Dwarf Chinkapins too with no luck! :)

FYI- I stopped by IA DNR Forest Nursery Friday- I wanted some Chinkapin oaks for LATER - like fall or maybe next spring (I always line stuff up super far in advance so places don't run out) - they actually have some Chinkapins in the cooler right now (cheap) someone could buy. I'm getting some in fall or next spring BUT they have some right now. (I realize we're a little late here BUT might be worth getting them for someone?). Just an FYI. Their # is 515-233-1161

*Obviously inquired about Dwarf Chinkapins too with no luck! :)

I sure wish they would start selling out of state, but no such luck so far. I wanted to get some downy serviceberry from them and would take some chinkapin oaks too since the farm is 2 miles from the IA line. :D

Here are some Basalta Chestnuts, that I planted this Spring from seed. They are easily the most vigorious tree's I have growing.

No doubt!! The American Chestnuts I planted by seed last fall are now about 10 inches tall and far outdoing any of the oaks that I planted by seed. :drink2:

I have the same problem you do Joey on a Concordia Oak I planted last summer. I sure would like to figure out what is causing this and hopefully the bluebird and wren houses next to the orchard and hybrid oaks will make a difference.

ConcordiaOak-1.jpg

Dropped some persimmon fruits in a pot last fall and just left them be. Boy did I get some persimmons out of that deal!! :D

Persimmons.jpg

I sure would like to figure out what is causing this
It looks like it could be cucumber beetle damage. They have really been a problem around my area lately. If its not cucumber beetle it most likely another leaf feeding beetle. Control would be the same.

Ortho bug b gone or sevin and many others will control them.

Top Bottom