Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree Planting

tree tubes

Thanks for the info dbltree. I'll be ordering some tree tubes for sure. Do you ever have mice problems with them. I had someone tell me that when the tubes were on the touching the ground, that the mice would build nests inside the tubes and gertle (sp) the trees. They suggested raising the tube a couple inches to prevent this. Any truth to that?

Thanks for the info dbltree. I'll be ordering some tree tubes for sure. Do you ever have mice problems with them. I had someone tell me that when the tubes were on the touching the ground, that the mice would build nests inside the tubes and gertle (sp) the trees. They suggested raising the tube a couple inches to prevent this. Any truth to that?

NO!! Keep the tube against the ground and pile dirt around the bottom to seal it, this encourages faster growth as well as keeping mice out but the real factor in keeping mice away is weed control, use herbicides to keep nothing but bare dirt around all tubes!!

I have pics in this and the acorn to oak thread...;)

Again thanks for the advise, it's greatly appreciated. I' ll be spraying roundup before I plant and using your herbicide mix after they are planted. Thanks again for all the great info, wish Id have known this about ten years ago when i first started planting trees, eould have saved a lot of headaches.

Dbltree - Couple questions on planting soft mast trees (apples, crabapples, persimmons). Thanks in advance for your help.

#1 - Earlier in this thread, you advised not to tube apple trees, suggesting instead to use fencing. Same thing for Crabapples treees? Or can we use tubes on them? We are in the midst of gathering up a bunch of fencing now to protect the young trees.

#2 - Can we tube the persimmons? Or should we cage them?

#3 - We are looking to plant both hard and soft mast trees on the north end of a food plot field on a south-facing slope. Would it be OK to plant clover amongst the mast trees? We would keep a few feet around each tree clear of vegetation via herbicide, but there is still a decent amount of real estate we were hoping to capitalize on by planting clover. To the south of the mast trees, we will be planting your rye mix and brassica, with clover around the perimeter of the plot.

Dbltree - Couple questions on planting soft mast trees (apples, crabapples, persimmons). Thanks in advance for your help.

#1 - Earlier in this thread, you advised not to tube apple trees, suggesting instead to use fencing. Same thing for Crabapples treees? Or can we use tubes on them? We are in the midst of gathering up a bunch of fencing now to protect the young trees.

#2 - Can we tube the persimmons? Or should we cage them?

#3 - We are looking to plant both hard and soft mast trees on the north end of a food plot field on a south-facing slope. Would it be OK to plant clover amongst the mast trees? We would keep a few feet around each tree clear of vegetation via herbicide, but there is still a decent amount of real estate we were hoping to capitalize on by planting clover. To the south of the mast trees, we will be planting your rye mix and brassica, with clover around the perimeter of the plot.

I have seen crabapples tubed successfully but I personally have not, be sure to seal the bottom with soil to prevent mice getting in the tube or they will girdle the trees in a heartbeat! Keep area free of weeds and grasses with herbicide also to help with rodent problems.

Same thing with persimmons...

Clover is excellent between rows of any tree plantings as long as a 2' wide strip or circle is kept free of vegetation around each tree.

DCO Planting

Dbltree - Thanks so much for your help.

We also plan to get a bunch of DCO seedlings from AF into the ground this spring. Do you recommend we amend the soil with composted manure for the DCO's like you do with the apple trees from ACN?

The organic matter in the soil is pretty good, but we are about an hour away from the planting site, so regular watering will not be much of an option if it gets dry this summer.

Thanks!

DCO's from Advantage Forestry

Did anyone order DCO seedlings from AF for this spring? I put my order in last fall, but I have not received any word on when they are coming. AF originally said the seedlings would ship the end of March.

Thanks!

prep and planting new bare roots

I am going to be planting about 300 bare root trees (35 chestnut, then wild plum, nine bark, gray dogwood, and red cedar). I was planning on spraying the planting area with roundup and princep and marking each circle with a flag for each tree.

Can I mix the roundup and princep together in one spraying?

I am going to put tree tubes on 150 of the trees and leave the rest unprotected. I will be able to spray whenever needed by either covering with a pale or the others will be protected by tubes.

Should I spray the roundup and princep together or wait until fall to spray the princep?

I am going to use 5' tubes on all the chestnuts.

Out of the other varieties I'm planting - would it make more sense to use the tubes certain trees?

Is it necessary to mulch or use landscaping fabric to protect area around tree along with spraying as mentioned above?

thanks for any help you can provide.

I am going to be planting about 300 bare root trees (35 chestnut, then wild plum, nine bark, gray dogwood, and red cedar). I was planning on spraying the planting area with roundup and princep and marking each circle with a flag for each tree.

Can I mix the roundup and princep together in one spraying?

I am going to put tree tubes on 150 of the trees and leave the rest unprotected. I will be able to spray whenever needed by either covering with a pale or the others will be protected by tubes.

Should I spray the roundup and princep together or wait until fall to spray the princep?

I am going to use 5' tubes on all the chestnuts.

Out of the other varieties I'm planting - would it make more sense to use the tubes certain trees?

Is it necessary to mulch or use landscaping fabric to protect area around tree along with spraying as mentioned above?

thanks for any help you can provide.

You can mix gly and simazine but don't spray gly on/around budded/leafed out trees unless covered!! Use Simazine in spring, tube all trees you can afford to, rest will have a hard row to how!

Mulch is great but expensive, keep away from untubed seedlings cause mice will burrow underneath and girdle seedlings

DCO Seedlings from Advantage Forestry

After several emails and a message on the office phone, I was finally able to get in touch with Peter at AF. It looks like I am screwed this year for the 120 DCO seedlings that I ordered last October. He thinks he is completely sold out....offered me a discount or some free next year, but that doesn't me any good this year. I guess I will find out for sure in the morning. Rather disappointed it took me this long to find out about the shortage...he had said they would ship in late March.

Does anyone have any extra DCO seedlings or know of somewhere I can get some this late in the year?

Thanks for any help or information!

weed suppression question

Mulch is great but expensive, keep away from untubed seedlings cause mice will burrow underneath and girdle seedlings

If I spray (roundup and princep) should I still use fabric around the base or is spraying enough to keep the weeds down?

April 24th 2013

After 2 1/2 weeks of heavy rainfall we can finally get some trees in the ground and with 20,000 seedlings to plant....it's not a moment to soon!

We prepared last fall by spraying 2 ounces Oust XP (SFM75) and 1 quart of 53% glyphosate which effectively nukes all the nasties like fescue and brome. We used GPS to spray strips but in this field the strips ended up being wider for some reason?

We will spray again after planting but if using Oust it's important to wait to rainfall has settled dirt around the roots

Oust will generally provide months of control if applied at 2-3 ounces per acre (on oaks and conifers) but adding simazine and Prowl can provide full season control of a wider number of annual grass and broadleaf weed species.

For now we are just happy to get these oaks in the ground! :way:

Would love to use a planter but to wet. 450 in the ground and 550 left.Glad I don't have 20,000. Good luck with those Paul and Jesse.

After several emails and a message on the office phone, I was finally able to get in touch with Peter at AF. It looks like I am screwed this year for the 120 DCO seedlings that I ordered last October. He thinks he is completely sold out....offered me a discount or some free next year, but that doesn't me any good this year. I guess I will find out for sure in the morning. Rather disappointed it took me this long to find out about the shortage...he had said they would ship in late March.

Does anyone have any extra DCO seedlings or know of somewhere I can get some this late in the year?

Thanks for any help or information!

Morse has some

http://www.morsenursery.com/index.php?cPath=1&pID=1069

Here's another company Sanctuary Timber and Wildlife

http://stwildlife.com/products/hard-mast/white-oaks/

Last edited:
Top Bottom