Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

tree selection

Waukon1

I have placed a ladderstand in a shagbark hickory tree earlier in the year. After thinking about it I believe that I heard not to put treestands in these trees because you don't get a good bite into the tree. Have any of you heard this? Besides a dead one
blush.gif
is there any tree to avoid placing a stand in?
Thanks

I avoid trees in town.
busted.gif
I use shagbark hickories all the time. They are quite often the only available mature tree.

I tried going up a shagbark ONE TIME in my climber,between worrying about slipping down the tree and the noise I made getting up in it my hunt was over before it ever started.
wstupid.gif

if you're going to put a stand in a shagbark make sure you strip some of the bark off so you do get a good grip. climbers do work in them but it reuquires MUCH time, effort, and swearing. i don't use them unless i'm i have to AND if i'm in a good mood.

I agree with Muddy, I use a climber about 90% of the time and I will not climb a Hickory for nothing! I do not think that it matters with a ladder stand. Although they are louder than hell to climb in I like climbing big pine trees. Also big white oaks do the trick. I weigh around 175 pounds and I can not get the treestand to bite worth a crap into a hickory so I stay away from them.

I had a ladder stand in a shag bark. I won't do it again. I stripped off alot of bark but it was still shaggy and made a ton of noise when I moved even slightly while sitting.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom