Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

tree stands for turkeys?

G

GunnerJon

I have always thought that it would work and have tried it once or twice...but with no luck. I did see the birds coming from quite a ways off, but didn't connect. The one day I did try it many years ago, I scared a hen off her nest...that was right by my ladder! Talk about a heart attack...... I always seem to see so many turks from my stands when I deer hunt, and those birds are in the same areas when I hunt in the spring in my area. I remember reading in a magazine somewhere that some guys have really figured out a system with toms and treestands....can't remember where.....

Seems like the turkeys spot me in trees a lot more the the deer do,must think Iam a fat hawk or something to run from anyway.

Just wondering if anyone out there has tried hunting turkeys from a tree stand? I've been toying with the idea of rigging a plunger-type call at the base of the tree so the calling is coming from ground level with the decoys. It would give you much better chance of seeing them come in as opposed to hunting from a ground set up, although that could work against you from the turk's eye-view as well. With all the time spent in a deer stand, I always see much more (including turkeys) than I seem to see when I'm on the ground.

Threebeards

Top Bottom