Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree tubes/shelters

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
What is everyone using for tree tubes? We're looking for the cheapest/most economical tree tube on the market. Looking for something 5ft tall as well. We got some tree tubes 3 years ago but I can't remember what brand they were or what we paid for them?
Here are some that I've found so far... Paul, which ones did you use last year?

Blue-X Tree Shelters - $1.79 each if ordering 1000+
http://www.growtube.com/products/treeshelter/

Plantra tree tubes - O-style tubes $2.59 each if ordering 250+
http://www.plantra.com/buynow/bntreeshelterO.php

Tree PRO protectors - $4.45 each
http://www.treepro.com/id89.html

We've got over 6 acres of tree plantings enrolled for cost share and we're going to have to be hand planting these trees. This won't allow us to plant near the high # of trees as normal. We also have planted trees in the past and watched deer destroy them so we vowed to not plant another hardwood tree without tubing it... we just can't see how planting a few hundred trees is going to work. All we can picture is the deer destroying them all. :rolleyes:

I've only tried TreePro personally but have had good luck. Check out Mike Hamilton for some good prices:

http://timbermanagementandseed.com

My biggest pros with these shelters:

- vented = trees harden off better, etc.
- zip ties integrated into the shelter = pretty easy to install
- don't have to assemble them or pop them up = very sturdy
- bamboo stakes he includes are fat and solid = hold up well to wind

We love deer, but they can be a pain in the butt with tree plantings!

Good luck!

I've installed all of them. Absolutely worth the extra $ for the Plantra. I personally think the Blue-X suck bad BUT that's my opinion and experience and a lot of guys on here like em. You will not be dissapointed with the Plantra.

I've installed all of them. Absolutely worth the extra $ for the Plantra. I personally think the Blue-X suck bad BUT that's my opinion and experience and a lot of guys on here like em. You will not be dissapointed with the Plantra.

How many years have you had them out for Skip?

I've had plantra for about 3 years. Had the blue-x for 3 years as well. Many of my blue-x fell apart the 1st year and each year they've got worse. Plantra's are still super strong and my opinion is far better quality and u don't have to assemble them (actually a huge time saver!!). But- in all fairness some guys like the blue-x... Just not me. My next purchase will b more plantra's. Pry be ordering 500 more and really happy with em.

Had blue-x first and like Skip they started to fall apart after the first year. Had Tubex next and still using them. Got some Protex this year and think they will last but I still like the Tubex the best. After a couple of years just split them with a knife and reuse. The Protex I have had trouble with coming off the tree in storms even with it buried 2" below ground.

I will also put in a vote for the tree pro protectors from Mike. $250 for 100 tubes is tough to beat and he can ship real cheap. The new design has curled tops and bottoms so the bottom holds the shape better. I have started re-using some after 5 years and have only had to replace a few chicken bands.

Use zip ties for the protex and you will get an even bigger diameter tube and it will never come apart.

Here is a pic for comparison, the one on the left is where I drilled holes and zip tied the tube, the one on the right is with using their tabs.

TreeTubes.jpg

So I think we've narrowed it down to eithe the TreePro's from Mike Hamilton for $2.50 a piece or the ProTex... where are you guys getting the ProTex from? I see Phil posted one link but I thought I remember you guys getting them for under $2 a piece? We're looking for 5foot ones so the deer can't quite reach them once they grow out of the top...

The only place to get them is Forestry Suppliers as far as I know. I gotta find out where Forestry Suppliers gets theirs and see if I can just buy a 200 foot roll so I can cut them myself and make the type of tube that I want too....a foot wide tube would be GREAT and cheap to protect shrubs.

I went with the 30" tubes so I can double them up and stack on top as needed to make a 5 foot tube that is 8+ inches wide. Once the seedlings take off and get to the top of the 30", then I put another 30" on top of that.

I really liked my tree pro double wide and super wide tubes, they just don't last as long as the protex in my experience.

I really liked my tree pro double wide and super wide tubes, they just don't last as long as the protex in my experience.

Interesting... we've got TreePros and they were put up in April of 2009 so they haven't been up too long. How long do your TreePros typically last? We are hoping the trees out grow the tubes and that is what destroys the tube. What didn't last on them? Did they get flimsy?

Interesting... we've got TreePros and they were put up in April of 2009 so they haven't been up too long. How long do your TreePros typically last? We are hoping the trees out grow the tubes and that is what destroys the tube. What didn't last on them? Did they get flimsy?

They basically fell apart and became very brittle. I think you will get a good 3 years out of them...maybe up to 5.

Hmmm, thanks for the info Phil... this may swing us to getting ProTex instead...

We've got steel T-post for all the tubes so hopefully that makes them have to take less abuse from whipping winds or bucks... those post should help hold them sturdy.

Hmmm, thanks for the info Phil... this may swing us to getting ProTex instead...

We've got steel T-post for all the tubes so hopefully that makes them have to take less abuse from whipping winds or bucks... those post should help hold them sturdy.

That has just been my experience...so take it with a grain of salt. :grin:

I have not tried the plantra tubes and Skip says they are great....maybe you should get a few of each and try for yourself. I am sold on protex tubes myself tho. :way:

I will also put in a vote for the tree pro protectors from Mike. $250 for 100 tubes is tough to beat and he can ship real cheap. The new design has curled tops and bottoms so the bottom holds the shape better. I have started re-using some after 5 years and have only had to replace a few chicken bands.

Are those the tree pro tubes or the miracle tubes going strong after 5 years? If so, which model are they?

Top Bottom