Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tree tubes/shelters

Are those the tree pro tubes or the miracle tubes going strong after 5 years? If so, which model are they?

I am glad you asked the question because I was not aware they made more than one style so I checked the TreePro site. These are the miracle tube model which have no seam and do not have the corogated appearance that the regular tree pro shelters have. I use the 5-foot vented style that come in nests of 5 (varying diameters) and 50 per bag.

I am glad you asked the question because I was not aware they made more than one style so I checked the TreePro site. These are the miracle tube model which have no seam and do not have the corogated appearance that the regular tree pro shelters have. I use the 5-foot vented style that come in nests of 5 (varying diameters) and 50 per bag.

Those are the same ones we used, so far they are holding up great but we've only had them up for 2 years

I am definitely not a tree tube expert, but I can share a few tips/experiences that might help others out:

-I no longer use the bird nets. If you leave them on, they will distort the top of the tree (at least oaks trees). Since I stopped using them, I have not found one tube with a bird nest in it.

-Hornets will build nests in them which will also damage the tree top. Checking the tubes each season is a good idea. Coons will go after the hornet nests and knock the tube over. This happens on a tiny % of the tubes but if you have any ideas to prevent it, I am all ears.

-3/8 Rebar is tough to beat for stakes, although it is a little pricey now. 1/2 Bamboo is also ok as it is easy to insert in the ground. I will know after this year how it holds up. The 1 inch oak stakes should work but I would not want to pound many of these in when I can just push rebar into the ground by hand. Just keep tabs on your rebar stakes because you don't want to lose them in tall grass where you may drive a vehicle of some sort.

-And finally, if you are married, your wife will never understand why you want to pay $2.50 for a tube and $0.75 for a stake to protect a $0.40 tree.:grin:

I am definitely not a tree tube expert, but I can share a few tips/experiences that might help others out:

-I no longer use the bird nets. If you leave them on, they will distort the top of the tree (at least oaks trees). Since I stopped using them, I have not found one tube with a bird nest in it.

-Hornets will build nests in them which will also damage the tree top. Checking the tubes each season is a good idea. Coons will go after the hornet nests and knock the tube over. This happens on a tiny % of the tubes but if you have any ideas to prevent it, I am all ears.

-3/8 Rebar is tough to beat for stakes, although it is a little pricey now. 1/2 Bamboo is also ok as it is easy to insert in the ground. I will know after this year how it holds up. The 1 inch oak stakes should work but I would not want to pound many of these in when I can just push rebar into the ground by hand. Just keep tabs on your rebar stakes because you don't want to lose them in tall grass where you may drive a vehicle of some sort.

-And finally, if you are married, your wife will never understand why you want to pay $2.50 for a tube and $0.75 for a stake to protect a $0.40 tree.:grin:

I second the bird nest part! Thanks for the info, that's what we're after, some real in-field experiences :way:

Top Bottom