Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Treehopper

Critter

Life Member
Without looking like I'm trying to sell anything with this post, some of you folks that hang a-lot of stands should check out one of our new sponsor's sites. At the last Deer Classic in Des Moines (Before they were a sponsor) I purchased a Treehopper Safety Belt and a pair of ratcheting pruners from them. I have to say, it's one of the best investments I've made when it comes to hunting equipment. I've hung a-lot of stands in the past without any sort of safety device, and to be honest I'm not sure how I did it without getting hurt. The belt enables you to lean back off of the tree and work your steps or straps without over-exerting yourself from trying to hang on with one hand or wrap a leg around the tree to keep from falling off. You'll get your stands cut in a heck of a lot faster, and more importantly, much safer. Take a minute to check them out, pretty cheap investment to keep you from breaking your leg or neck.
waytogo.gif

Treehopper

I've been using Treehopper products for MANY years, and the climbing belt is one of the safest and easiest ways to install a hang-on stand there is...I wouldn't even attempt to hang a stand w/o one!
waytogo.gif

I was with Critr when he bought his (and I bought mine). I looked for 2 years to find this belt. A buddy had one of the originals. The owner (Dean) is a super guy to deal with and really is excited that I took on his products. Not trying to sound like a shameless plug.....just another one of those products I believe in.

I have been using the Treehopper climbing system (drill and bolts) for years.... IMO it is much better than treesteps for trees that you plan on hunting more than once. I wish they would make the original handcrank treebolt borer. I still have mine but I am afraid that eventually it will break some day. The bolt bit for drills is not practical during the in season stand moves, but the handcrank is super quiet and easy to use
waytogo.gif

I would think you would be able to fit the new bit in a Hirty Girty (sp). It's an old style hand crank with a swivel ball handle and a "U" shape bend in the shaft. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about, but most probably don't recognize the name. Not sure how it would compare to the hand crank you have, maybe it would be more difficult to operate since you need both hands.

Critr,
Are you talking about a brace? Definitely requires two hands (and most often some leaning into it to get it started). I have one that ratchets so you don't have to go full circle.

A4brace.jpg

I'm new to this site. I thought I'd try it out. I have been using the Tree hopper belt for about 5 years now. It makes hanging loc-on stands very easy. I use a drill and bolts. I made my own drill bit. I bought a 3/8" auger bit and welded a nut on it 2 1/2" from the tip. This gives you the same depth hole every time. Make sure you use the bit with the little screw tip. It will pull itself right into the tree. I use 3/8" x 6" grade 8 bolts. I learned the hard way that I needed to use grade 8's. Grade 5's will bend under my weight(280#). Some of you smaller guys may be able to get away with 5's. I have never bent an 8. I wear a small belt pouch that I got at wallyworld to hold bolts, and I put a snap hook on my drill so I could hang it from the D-ring on the tree hopper belt. The great thing about this system is that when you come down from the stand you can easily pull out the bottom 10 bolts and it helps discourage stand theives.

This hand drill that I am talking about folds up smaller than a screw-in tree step and is very light. The bit is connected to the crank... easiest to start with two hands but once the bit gets a grip you can easily use one hand only.... I will try to post a picture if I get a chance later
waytogo.gif

Hey Cornfed,

Jerry Simmons sells the "Woodpecker Drill" which is basically the same as the one Treehopper sold. (I still prefer the original myself, but have one of these as a back-up)

Here's the link: Look under tree climbing accessories

http://www.simmonssharks.com/

woodpecker2.jpg

BINGO !!!!!! Stickbow98, you 'Da Man! That is exactly what I am looking for... but, I do have the original which is slightly different. I will have to get one of these before they quit making them.....

Thanks... I really appreciate it!
waytogo.gif

just an update. I talked with Dean and he is in the process of revamping the drill, he will introduce them yet this fall.

Rudd - thanks for the belt and clippers received in the mail this week. Could you post a pic of the bit holder when you get it in?

After hanging several stands today, I'm certain one of these belts is in my future (Christmas?) I hung them the way
I always have, and I realized I have about 37 different ways to get hurt. Today went without any big errors, but I could have done it much faster - and definitely much safer - if I had two free hands. Plus, my leg and arm muscles are killing me. I'll be ready next year.

I have used the Lone Wolf Sit and Climb now for a couple of years and really like its safety, comfort and ease to pack around. After too many times of settling for less than the perfect setup due to not finding a suitible tree for the climber I finally ordered a Lone Wolf hang-on w/ the LW tree steps.
My mind kept wondering to how much danger I was going to face w/ the hang on and the steps until I found out about the Treehopper product here on Iowa Whitetail. Thanks to everyone who posted a comment about this product as I feel using the Treehopper will definetly help save me from potential pain and suffering due to a fall.

Top Bottom